dismiss

The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History by…

The Discomfort Zone: A Personal History (2006)

by Jonathan Franzen

"The Discomfort Zone is Jonathan Franzen's memoir of growing up squirming in his own uber-sensitive skin, from a "small and fundamentally ridiculous person," through a strangely happy adolescence, into an adult with strong and inconvenient passions. His story cascades from moments of high drama into multilayered fields of sometimes truculent, sometimes piercing, always entertaining investigation and insight. Whether he's writing about the explosive dynamics of a Christian youth fellowship in the 1970s, the effects of Kafka's fiction on his own protracted quest to loose his virginity, or the web of connections between bird-watching, his all-consuming marriage, and the problem of global warming, Franzen is always feelingly engaged with the world we live in now."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Recently added byWillidav, Luis_Castrillo, HeatherJo5, vernaye, private library, VillageofTP, Chocoruapublic, arlenevj, nedkelly05
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (33)  German (1)  All languages (34)
Quando Franzen scrive mi fa sempre pensare "Mi piacerebbe prenderci una birra assieme".
Per certi versi è una rivisitazione (piacevole e interessante) più vicina al vero de "Le correzioni".
Delicato in certi passi, soprattutto nel capitolo finale, soprattutto alla fine.
Dopo avere letto questo libro biografico ho conosciuto meglio un uomo che mi sta simpatico ;-)
Chi apprezza Franzen non rimarrà deluso, insomma. ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
Franzen delivers, as always, with clear, vocabulary rich descriptiveness. I could have done with less German. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Meh. I read it, and the writing itself was entertaining enough, but I kept thinking that I wished I were done with it. I know a lot more about the author's life and thoughts than I knew before I read it.

I like his fiction. But this memoir-y book did not do a lot for me. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
3.25 stars

This is a series of little snapshots of the author's life, mostly when he was a child or teenager, but it does extend a little beyond that. It's not really a complete bio, it is just vignettes.

I was really mixed, there were chapters I liked – my favourite was the bird chapter – and others that were just o.k., maybe a little boring. So, for me, it really varied, depending on what story he was telling whether I really liked it or not. So, my rating varies by chapter. The bird chapter would be a 4, the first two chapters, would be a 3.5, and the other three chapters are just a 3 for me. I figure that averages to about 3.25. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
I'd never read any Franzen before, but I was in the annoying library in my old neighborhood and this jumped off the shelves into my hands so I took it home. I liked it. Franzen is just neurotic enough to pull off riveting essays about, well, navigating through life with various neuroses. The writing was colorful yet polished, though not so much as to dilute the color. I liked it well enough that I plan to check out his other essay collection and his well-known novel The Corrections. Hooray. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
Readers who want as much autobiographical detail as he is willing to provide should read The Discomfort Zone along with How to Be Alone. The theme common to both books is: how I learned to make my peace with the world and, by reading books, to be alone but not too alone; how I came in from the cold of being a difficult young man.

Franzen, Jonathanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scherpenisse, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob and Tom
There'd been a storm that evening in St. Louis.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,476,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible