Inside Out and Back Again (2011)

by Thanhha Lai

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.

I found this book to be incredibly moving, I thought that the story of Hà was incredibly impactful and enlightening. I believe that this novel is better suited for older students, or at least students who are more mature and can grasp large-scale problems, but this is definitely a story that should be in the classroom nonetheless. This story consists of Hà and her family is immigrating from Vietnam to America as refugees, and it speaks to their experiences in the process of doing so. This is a story that is important to have in the classroom because it allows the students to learn about something that, most likely the majority of them have not experienced before. I personally plan on including this in my future classrooms, and even making this story a read aloud or required reading for my students.
  i.c.garcia524 | Apr 19, 2021 |
This was a really great book that I enjoyed reading as it explained the common struggles refugees go through. Young girl Ha shared her story as a refugee with a family who was forced to t=leave their home and find somewhere else to settle in and create a new life. It can read at the intermediate, middle school level and I recommend it to be read as a group as well so students can reflect and respond to the book as they go on. ( )
  Ana_Coronado | Apr 19, 2021 |
Inside Out & Back Again is a beautiful book that takes us into the journey of a Hà and her family. I believe it would be perfect for 5th-6th graders. It highlights the struggles that refugees families often go through. The text is in poem form which allow readers to experience and more closer take into the story. ( )
  Adelmi | Apr 18, 2021 |
This is a wonderful book for middle students. Within its pages it details the life of a girl named Ha, as her home, Saigon, Vietnam, was threatened by invading war, and her and her family had to flee from it. They come to live in Alabama where Ha faces a new culture, meaning children in school, the struggles of war still impacting her homeland and her fathers absence, and her developing understanding of the English language. Ha overcomes great feats, and the book tells the story of a resilient and hopeful family. This is such a helpful book because it can cause a reader to view life from the eyes of another, and can be educational for students to read. I would love to have this book in my classroom library and I think it would be powerful for students to read during a history lesson.
  ledambrockman | Apr 9, 2021 |
Middle. This book is told in first-person poetry through the eyes of Ha. She is the youngest of 3 boys and her father has been missing for years. When the Vietnam war threatns their way of life, their family flees on a crowded ship. Eventually, they arrive to their new home, Alabama. Ha's time there is not easy, she faces bullying, learning English, and missing her life in Vietnam. This is a beautiful own voice story that is a good read for everyone. Could be used for literature or history lessons
  sarahcasimes | Mar 22, 2021 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat
Today is Tet,
the first day
of the lunar calendar.
Every Tet
we eat sugary lotus seeds
and glutinous rice cakes.
We wear all new clothes,
even underneath.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,203,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible