HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Maskerade (1995)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Witches (5), Discworld (18)

The Ghost in the bone-white mask who haunts theAnkh-Morpork Opera House was always considered a benign presence -- some would even say lucky -- until he started killing people. The sudden rash of bizarre backstage deaths now threatens to mar the operatic debut of country girl Perdita X. (nee Agnes) Nitt, she of the ample body and ampler voice. Perdita's expected to hide in the chorus and sing arias out loud while a more petitely presentable soprano mouths the notes. But at least it's an escape from scheming Nanny Ogg and old Granny Weatherwax back home, who want her to join their witchy ranks. Once Granny sets her mind on something, however, it's difficult -- and often hazardous -- to dissuade her. And no opera-prowling phantom fiend is going to keep a pair of determined hags down on the farm after they've seen Ankh-Morpork.… (more)

English (101)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (109)
Discworld 18
  SueJBeard | Jan 8, 2023 |
A charming and fun read, its always a pleasure to check in with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. This is a fun stomp through the weirdness of opera, with Granny at the height of her powers and some fine jokes. ( )
  elahrairah | Sep 3, 2022 |
I love the characters, and the set-up, and the snarky-but-loving digs at the theatre. (And the snarky-but-not-so-loving digs at publishing.) This book is a "Phantom of the Opera" retelling in the Discworld fashion, which is to say it's somewhere between a true retelling and a parody, but that gives the book enough familiarity to make the new bits even more fun. This is quite possibly my new favorite Discworld book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Aug 26, 2022 |
This is Pratchett’s take on “The Phantom of the Opera” (and opera in general) and I really enjoyed it. This one is probably my favourite Witches book. I still need to reread Wyrd Sisters to be sure.

In this Discworld entry Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg go to the Ankh-Morpork Opera House seeking Agnes Nitt, that decided to be a singer under the name Perdita. Granny and Nanny hope that she will replace Magrat as their third member, but Agnes is reluctant to become a witch. There is a ghost haunting the Opera House and some problems with numbers (money).

I really love the friendship between Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax and I loved to get to know Agnes. The plot was fantastic and the jokes were really funny especially since I am familiar with the work by Gaston Leroux. I also really loved the role Greebo, Nanny’s cat, had in this adventure and how everyone seems to hate or not understand opera.

I loved the resolution of the mystery and the ending. There are some really tender moments between the witches and since I love the characters that warmed my heart.

There is no real reason for me to not to give it the highest rating besides level of enjoyment. There isn’t an aspect of this book I didn’t like, but it was still not as perfect as “Hogfather”. Still, this is definitely one of the best Discworld books to me. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Með betri sögunum þar sem nornirnar Granny Weatherwax og Nancy Ogg fara hamförum. Vitleysan ríður ekki við einteyming frekar en í fyrri sögum Pratchetts. Nú tætir hann Óperudrauginn í sig með sérstöku Diskheimstvisti. Eftir að hafa hlegið stöðugt yfir þessari sögu ákvað ég að lesa Óperudrauginn sjálfan enda orðinn einum of forvitinn að vita hvernig Pratchett hefði snúið út úr söguþræðinum þar. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |

Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

[None]
My thanks to the people who showed me that opera was stranger than I could imagine. I can best repay their kindness by not mentioning their names here.
The wind howled.
'Well, basically there are two sorts of opera,' said Nanny, who also had the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no experience whatsoever. 'There's your heavy opera, where basically people sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh, I am dyin', oh, oh, oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to drink lots of beer!", although sometimes they drink champagne instead. That's basically all of opera, reely.'
The singers all loathe the sight of one another, the chorus despises the singers, they both hate the orchestra, and everyone fears the conductor; the staff on one prompt side won't talk to the staff on the opposite prompt side, the dancers are all crazed from hunger in any case...
Greebo could, in fact, commit sexual harassment simply by sitting very quietly in the next room.

Im Opernhaus von Ankh-Morpork huschen maskierte Gestalten durch die Kulissen und führen Niederträchtiges im Schilde. Zwei alte Damen beobachten den Kronleuchter und murmeln dazu Sätze wie: "Da wartet ein Unglück darauf, daß es passiert ..." Ja, Oma Wetterwachs und Nanny Ogg, die größten Hexen der Scheibenwelt, haben ihren Auftritt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,298,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible