Hogfather (1996)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Susan (2), Discworld: Gods (3), Discworld: Death (4), Discworld (20)

Who would want to harm Discworld's most beloved icon? Very few things are held sacred in this twisted, corrupt, heartless -- and oddly familiar -- universe, but the Hogfather is one of them. Yet here it is, Hogswatchnight, that most joyous and acquisitive of times, and the jolly old, red-suited gift-giver has vanished without a trace. And there's something shady going on involving an uncommonly psychotic member of the Assassins' Guild and certain representatives of Ankh-Morpork's rather extensive criminal element. Suddenly Discworld's entire myth system is unraveling at an alarming rate. Drastic measures must be taken, which is why Death himself is taking up the reins of the fat man's vacated sleigh . . . which, in turn, has Death's level-headed granddaughter, Susan, racing to unravel the nasty, humbuggian mess before the holiday season goes straight to hell and takes everyone along with it.… (more)
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Tea-Time, "Te-ah-tim-eh;" old gods, new jobs...
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Merriwyn)
    Merriwyn: If what you love about Pratchett is the combination of humour and the wealth of cultural and intertextual references then Jasper Fforde should be right up your street. Set in an alternate world, The Eyre Affair is funny and clever, referencing swathes of western literature and literary history, and exploring complex and interesting ideas in the best tradition of humourous fantasy.… (more)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor. Barking has maybe slightly less social commentary than a Pratchett novel but aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie's and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Klaus by Grant Morrison (ansate)
    Fisher of Devils by Steve Redwood (mjcj)
    mjcj: If you love Pratchett, you will love this.

English (137)  Spanish (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (143)
Another book in the Death sub-series in the Discworld collection (Discworld #20, #4 in Death series)
Another excellent satire wrapped in Christmas ribbons and wrapping paper! Christmas (or Hogswatch as its known in Discworld) isn't really my favorite thing, but Terry Pratchett has managed to make it one of my favorite Christmas themed stories!
Great book with a strong, charismatic woman lead and an unforgettable, creepy villain! Fully laced with originality and the nonsensical world that is Discworld- the Hogfather has an incredible balance of dark and light. The moral dilemmas fit in organically with the natural ride of the story- so while serious topics are utilized, his magic and humor provide a lighthearted edge that make it so much more enjoyable. (As is a common element and recurring opinion on the Pratchett novels) You'll even get to revisit some characters from the City Watch sub-series (That was a treat for me because Guards! Guards! was my first Discworld novel)
Saddle up and get ready for a Christmas-themed tale told in a way you're guaranteed never to have heard before! ( )
  am08279 | Oct 27, 2022 |
It's been a while since I read any of Terry Pratchett's books, and this one is a real treat. In the first page, there's a memorable quote from Lord Downey about Mister Teatime, a somewhat less reputable member of the Assassin's Guild (most members, Lord Downey included, are pretty reputable): "We took pity on him because he’d lost both parents at an early age. I think that, on reflection, we should have wondered a bit more about that". Typical Terry Pratchett.

If you have heard of this series, but haven't read any of the books yet, you should at least try a few. They're hard to describe. The humor is kind of like Monty Python's British wit, but perhaps more sophisticated in some ways in that it's not just silliness. Sir Terry just has a different way of seeing life, and it is at time insightful as well as funny. The whole idea of this story is pretty crazy, having the character Death (The Grim Reaper) take over for Santa Clause. But he's a good sport about it, and does a decent job, i think.

And then there's his grand-daughter (not sure how that came about) who works as a governess. She resents how parents try to convince kids that monsters don't exist, because the kids know better. So she catches the monsters, often dragging them out from under the bed by their hair, and uses her poker to take care of them. This makes the kids feel much safer than being told not to worry.

I've read most of the series, starting back around the turn of the century when a cow-orker loaned me the first two books. I was hooked right away. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
Summary: A nice comedic reflection on the meaning of Christmas set in a fantasy-satire world.

What I liked:

Humour: I laughed, quite a bit, not out loud but I was definitely amused for large parts of the read.

Philosophy/satire: I found quite a few of the political/philosophical musics to be apt.

What I thought could be improved:

Maybe a few less characters in the gang, bit hard to follow who was who.

Standout: Death as Santa in the toy shop, read it three times I like it so much. ( )
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
This is now my favourite Discworld book so far. Never before did I read one that made me feel so emotional. This book is funny, has fantastic characters, a great plot and a lot of heart. It’s beautiful!

In this entry of the Discworld series, Death is doing the job of the Hogfather (Discworld’s Santa Claus) since an assassin was hired to make him disappear. Death provides a very realistic commentary on what Christmas is and what it should be. He has the help of Albert and their interactions are comedic gold. Besides the character of Death, that is one of the most brilliant and endearing characters ever, there’s also Susan, his grandaughter, Teatime, a very over the top mad assassin, Ridcully, a silly wizard, and many more.

One thing I love about Sir Pratchett’s writing is the subtle emotional aspects related to every character. He gives very little information now and then and yet lets the readers understand how a certain character’s past was like and why they think a certain way in the present. There is a lot sprinkled in about the difficult way Susan feels about her grandfather and about Nobby and Alfred’s childhoods, for example. I didn’t notice this as much in the books I read before in the series because the comedy and commentary always seemed to be at the forefront, but this one really made me feel for the characters.

This was my introduction to Susan because I haven’t read “Soul Music” yet and I loved her! She is one of the best Discworld characters so far. I love her line “don’t get scared, get angry”. She is the best babysitter and she sees and treats Teatime like he deserves - as if he was a child acting like a super villain. I love no nonsense female characters and Susan is almost at the same level as Granny Weatherwax.
Teatime (pronounced Teh-ah-tim-eh) is my favourite Discworld villain so far. He is so cartoonishly over the top, but he does kill some people quickly in a way that makes him still a bit scary.

The book has some surprising creepy scenes even if the comedy and clever moments are what stand out the most.

YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"
MY POINT EXACTLY.”

This is the best Christmas book ever and if you haven’t read it, you should. It’s not that long and it’s so easy to keep reading due to the interesting plot and the absence of chapters. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
Pratchett gerir stólpagrín að trúnni sem magnar upp tannálfinn og "jólasvein" Diskheims sem heitir Hogfather svo eitthvað sé nefnt. Nú er búið að senda launmorðingja til drepa Svínaföðurinn og á meðan aðalhetjan reynir að bjarga honum hleypur Dauðinn í skarðið fyrir hann á óborganlegan hátt. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |

Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tony RobinsonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guerilla bookshop
manager know to friends as
'ppint' for asking me, many years
ago, the question Susan asks in
this book. I'm surprised more
people haven't asked it . . .

And to too many absent friends.
Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree.
She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do.
And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.
Time stopped.

But duration continued.
Sometimes, somewhere, somehow, the numbers on the clock did not count.

Between every rational moment were a billion irrational ones.
Mister Teatime had a truly brilliant mind, but it was brilliant like a fractured mirror, all marvellous

facets and rainbows but, ultimately, also something that was broken.
It’s amazing how people define roles for themselves and put handcuffs on their experience and are

constantly surprised by the things a roulette universe spins at them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,057,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible