The Gift of the Crocodile: A Cinderella…

The Gift of the Crocodile: A Cinderella Story

by Judy Sierra

This book puts a really interesting spin on the classic Cinderella story. It takes place in the spice islands and focuses on a girl named Damura. Her step-mother and step-sisters mistreat her and make her do chores around the house. Then one day as she rode down the river she met Grandmother Crocodile who creates her a sarong and gold silk slippers for the ball. The prince wants her to be his wife but her step-mother and step-sisters push her in the river where she is swallowed by a crocodile. Grandmother crocodile comes to her rescue and saves Damura. The illustrations in this book are beautiful in this twist on Cinderella. I think that this could be used as a great way to show how a different culture tells a familiar story. I would like to own this book and share it with my students.
  siobhan.mcsweeney | Apr 3, 2017 |
“The Gift of the Crocodile” is a Cinderella story from the Spice Islands in Indonesia. Although the general premise of the story is similar to others, there are also many differences. Damura has a great relationship with her mother until her mother passes away. Before her mother’s death, she reminds Damura to always be kind to the animals that live on the island. Damura’s father remarries and the stepsisters and stepmother treat Damura like a slave. Damura’s fairy godmother comes in the form of “Grandmother Crocodile,” who helps Damura look like a princess to win over the prince.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it is very interesting how many different variations there are of the typical Cinderella story. In my future classroom, I would love to give each of my students a different Cinderella story and then have the class discuss similarities and differences.
I thought it was very interesting to see how the culture of Indonesia influenced the story in this particular variation. Damura wore a sarong to the ball because that is the attire that is worn in Indonesia for fancy events. Damura spoke to the different animals and was always kind to them, as her mother had told her to be. This ended up working in her favor because “Grandmother Crocodile” was her fairy godmother and always looked out for her. ( )
  mkstorey | Mar 17, 2017 |
This spin-off of Cinderella gave me mixed feelings. I enjoyed the plot and the illustrations but I did not think the writing and language was complex at all. The plot gave a modified version of the classic tale, Cinderella. I loved the way the author changed this fairytale to adapt to a new culture and new set of characters. I particularly liked that they replaced the "Fairy God Mother" with "Grandmother Crocodile." I also really like the illustrations in the story. Reynolds Ruffins' illustrations were beautiful and tied right into the story. It was interesting to get a visual of the story and the style of illustration worked perfectly with the text. While a lot was good about this text, I did not like the actual writing. It seemed as if the writing was not academic at all, it was a little bit too casual. Other than the writing, I definitely liked this story. The big idea of this story was the same as the traditional Cinderella; that no matter how badly you are treated by some, others will see your worth. ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Sep 15, 2015 |
(Spice Islands in Indonesia) Damura's stepmother and stepsister so jealous of her marriage, they pushed her into a river, but Grandmother Crocodile restored Damura to life.
  hbcoates | Dec 6, 2014 |
A twist on the Cinderella story we know. A young girl living in the spice islands loses her mother and her father marries a new woman. Her step-mother begins treating her like a slave and Demura finds her fairy god mother in a crocodile.
  ashleykalar | Oct 18, 2014 |
For Leah Newcomb - J.S.
For all the grands and BiBi - R.R.

In the Spice Islands, where clove and nutmeg trees grow,

a girl named Damura lived long ago.

Damura is a beautiful girl, as kind and lovely as the little green parrot that perches on the nutmeg tree. But Damura's stepmother and stepsister mistreat her. They force her to rise before dawn, carry out all the chores, and sleep on the floor. One day, while down by the river, Damura calls out to the creatures of the wild for help. Rising from the waters, an ancient crocodile answers the call. This unusual fairy godmother, aptly named Grandmother Crocodile, outfits Damura in a sarong of gold, with slippers to match, and sends her to the palace to dance for the prince. Once he sees her, the prince knows that she will be his bride.

But the fairy tale isn't quite over. Damura's wicked stepmother and stepsister are so jealous that they push Damura into the river, where she is swallowed by a crocodile. Too bad they didn't know about Grandmother Crocodile....

The Gift of the Crocodile, a tale from the Spice Islands in Indonesia, offers a colorful and dramatic twist on the universally adored Cinderella story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

In this Indonesian version of the Cinderella story, a girl named Damura escapes her cruel stepmother and stepsister and marries a handsome prince with the help of Grandmother Crocodile.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible