Marry or Burn: Stories by Valerie Trueblood

Marry or Burn: Stories

by Valerie Trueblood

1311,086,865 (3.67)None
A passionately shaped collection of stories that courageously explores the dynamic nature of modern marriage, the life-shattering heartbreak that often accompanies its collapse, and the fickle way in which the boundaries between us can be broken, erased, and newly defined. At her daughter's wedding, an alcoholic widow finds a new beginning when she is swept off her feet by the bride's former secret lover. A man finds himself in a position of terrible power when he discovers his ex-wife's boyfriend with another woman. A woman who killed her policeman husband in a rage struggles to reconcile feelings of emotional worthlessness and a longing for human affection after two decades in prison. A widower of twenty-three years introduces his wary daughters to his new love, a woman whom he has decided to marry one week after meeting, and who once took an axe to a bear to save her husband.… (more)

Marry or Burn by Valerie Trueblood is a collection of stories about mostly troubled marriages. While the writing style had a lyrical quality, the stories were sometimes confusing and hard to follow. I was beginning to wonder if I could make it though the entire collection but I did find the last story ‘Beloved, You Looked Into Space’ as the best one of the lot, so if you are a purist and feel you must read every story in a collection, then at least you can look forward to the best for last. Otherwise, I'd say don't feel bad if you want to give up early on a few and head right for page 243. Life is short. ( )
  4daisies | Mar 19, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,925,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible