Chasm City

by Alastair Reynolds

Series: Revelation Space (2)

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake--until the day a woman in his care was blown away by Argent Reivich, a vengeful young postmortal. Tanner's pursuit of Reivich takes him across light-years of space to Chasm City, the domed human settlement on the otherwise inhospitable planet of Yellowstone. But Chasm City is not what it was. Before the chase is done, Tanner will have to confront truths that reach back centuries, toward deep space and an atrocity history barely remembers.… (more)

English (44)  French (3)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
The story within a story is fantastic. The 5 ships on the interstellar journey being brought down by pointless and self-destructive war is pretty much the pure distillation of human's tribal nature which I'm prepared to believe would not die out just because we mastered rocketry. ( )
  TeaTimeCoder | Dec 23, 2020 |
I loved the world building but the story was just ok. the world is incredibly detailed and complex. lots of different factions and types people, which I have found characteristic of the British sci-fi I have read. the story, however, was a standard noir-ish revenge story, which I am usually down for, but could not get into for some reason. I will totally read the other books in the series though. ( )
  JeremyReads | Dec 22, 2020 |
Really awesome book, way better than some of the previous books (Revelation Gap, Redemption Ark) out of this Universe (Revelation Space) ( )
  gullevek | Dec 15, 2020 |
There seems some speculation as to the order in which it is best to read these "Revelation Space" books. Reynolds himsel says the Revelation Space - Redemtiopn Ark - Absolution Gap trilogy should be read first dhen Chasm City and The Prefect as asides. I think that Chasm City is a great prequel or introduction to the is Universe and does not harm the plot or future storylinesof the main Trilogy to be read first. In fact it is not until you read this that references to Calvin Sylveste, The Eighty and the Rust Belt/Glitter Bank/Melding Plague really make sense.
It is slower to get going then other Reynolds books (or perhaps I was more forgiving of the slower pace with the other novels, knowing there were part of a Trilogy)and can be difficult to follow initially with lots of flashback's and dream sequences. But the fabulous world building and typical high drama of a Reynolds novels are here in abundance with a well paced and executed finale.
Check it out before reading Revelation Space to see if you want to commit to a Trilogy of more of the same - but I strongly recommend that you do. ( )
  MattCotton | Dec 4, 2020 |
Excellent story that fills in some more background of the galaxy Reynolds has built. Intriguing from.the get go. ( )
  drwilko | Nov 17, 2020 |

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carr, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness was falling as Dieterling and I arrived at the base of the bridge.

Tanner Mirabel was a security specialist who never made a mistake - until the day a woman in his care was blown away by Argent Reivich, a vengeful young postmortal. Tanner's pursuit of Reivich takes him across light-years of space to Chasm City, the domed human settlement on the otherwise inhospitable planet of Yellowstone. But Chasm City is not what it was. The one-time high-tech utopia has become a Gothic nightmare: a nanotechnological virus has corrupted the city's inhabitants as thoroughly as it has the buildings and machines. Before the chase is done, Tanner will have to confront truths which reach back centuries, towards deep space and an atrocity history barely remembers.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,484,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible