SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

A Deepness in the Sky

by Vernor Vinge

Series: Zones of Thought (1)

After thousands of years of searching, humans stand on the verge of first contract with an alien race. Two human groups: The Qeng Ho, a culture of free, innovative traders, and the Emergents, a ruthless society based on the technological enslavement of minds.The group that opens trade with the aliens will reap unimaginable riches. But first, both groups must wait at the aliens very doorstep, for their strange star to relight and for the alien planet to reawaken, as it does every two hundred and fifty years...Amidst terrible treachery, The Qeng Ho must flight for their freedom and for the lives for the unsuspecting innocents on the planet below, white the aliens themselves play a role unsuspected by the Qeng Ho and Emergents alike.More than just a great science fiction adventure, A Deepness in the Sky is a universal drama of courage, self-discovery and the redemptive power of love.… (more)

English (56)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (60)
Perhaps Vinge's best novel. ( )
  xevooy | Jul 20, 2021 |
I find it was better than the first Zone novel. ( )
  harroldsheep | May 21, 2021 |
I really want to rate this 5 stars. As it is my rating should be 4.5.

What made this book special for me was that I had no idea where the story was going. I read a lot and I often find that after reading 20-25% of a book I have a basic idea about the general outline of the story. This often makes reading a bit boring. But with this book I had no idea, mainly because there were so many options. There were some brilliant twists and a tiny remark at the end which cleared up what was a rather big question for me.

So why isn't this a 5 star rating? I think the ending was a bit too pat, and a couple of what should have been major issues were not addressed. But overall this is a rather minor problem. Definitely one of the best sf books I have read. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
DNF at page 122.

A prequel to A Fire Upon the Deep set some 30,000 years prior, this is a work of hard scifi with a strong military feel as two human civilizations come into conflict over a planet which home to a sentient alien species. Unlike the first book, which greatly intrigued me with the culture of the pack-minded Tines, this one presents aliens that are essentially quite human but with a lot more arms. Furthermore, the pace dragged to the point of tedium and presenting all times in seconds was disruptive to the reading experience. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jan 3, 2021 |
Really enjoyed the story that we got, but can't help feeling that the story we were promised, regarding the On/Off star never eventuated. It ended up as an odd prequel to "Fire," that blew-out into an otherwise very interesting novel. ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |

Vernor Vingeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eggleton, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tervaharju, HannuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, BorisCover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

SF Masterworks (New design)
To Poul Anderson,

In learning to write science fiction, I have had many great models, but Poul Anderson's work has meant more to me than any other. Beyond that, Poul has provided me and the world with an enormous treasure of wonderful, entertaining stories - and he continues to do so.

On a personal note, I will always be grateful to Poul and Karen Anderson for the hospitality that they showed a certain young science fiction writer back in the 1960s.

--V.V.
The manhunt extended across more than one hundred light-years and eight centuries. It had always been a secret search, unacknowledged even among some of the participants.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,343,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible