Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell
615None15,827 (3.83)22

Another typically enjoyable Sharpe adventure. Description of Battle of Barrosa seemed more graphic and longer than some battles in other books but probably because it was being fought on a number of fronts, and Sharpe and his men were only involved in part of it. Good rousing stuff, and always enjoy Cornwell's Historical Notes at the end. ( )
  cbinstead | Nov 13, 2013 |
In truth this is the first 'Sharpe' book that I have read and they are a completely new departure for me. That being said I really enjoyed it and will certainly follow up with others in the series.
Needless to say I come in very late on in Sharpe's career (seldom starting my reading in the correct order) so it took a little time to make sense of it all. My only prior knowledge came via two DVD's in fact.
Sharpe seems to be a 'loveable rogue' type of character and I look forward to reading more about him in due course.
I took the trouble on completing this book to check the historical facts of the Battle of Barrosa and of some of the participating characters,and I must say Bernard Cornwell seems to have done his research very well. ( )
  devenish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Another rousing Sharpe adventure, with military action large and small, rotten enemies to be personally defeated by Sharpe, all in the context of historically accurate descriptions of Britain's war against Napoleon. This action takes place in 1811, when the British army was pinned in Cadiz by the French forces. ( )
  jrtanworth | Jun 4, 2011 |
It was a quick read for me. For the most part it was like Sharpe was on the sidelines for this novel. I liked the sections where he acts as a thief though it did seem a little easy to me. Usually Cornwell's titles are bang on but I kept waiting for the "fury" part and it seemed to me to be the same old Richard Sharpe. I was kind of disappointed in that. However, it is an enjoyable read , nonetheless. ( )
  Lynxear | Oct 29, 2010 |
Sharpe is in Cadiz where he uncovers Spanish espionage and a murdering priest before he fights against brutal Col Vandal in the Peninsula War
  rschrick | May 1, 2010 |

En 1811, en plena Guerra de la Independencia, empiezan a surgir en España voces que defienden un acercamiento a Napoleón. El descubrimiento de unas comprometedoras cartas del embajador inglés a una prostituta no hacen sino alentar todavía más esa propuesta. En un Cádiz sitiado por las tropas francesas, Sharpe será el encargado de encontrar a la destinataria de las misivas y recuperar esas cartas. Cuando Sharpe y sus dos camaradas Harper y Moon llegan a Andalucía, las tropas inglesas, a las órdenes de sir Thomas Graham se disponen a romper el cerco francés, complicando, aún más, si cabe, la misión de Sharpe.
Esta vez Cornwell nos hará una magistral descripción bélica de la batalla de Chiclana (5 de marzo de 1811)

Be prepared for scenes of great action & heroics

"I had a word with Sergeant Nolan, so I did, and said you weren't entirely bad unless you were crossed, and then you
were a proper devil. And I told him you had an Irish father, which might be true, might it not?"
"So I'm one of you now, am I?" Sharpe asked, amused.
"Oh no, sir, you're not handsome enough."

Richard Sharpe

Soldier, hero, rogue—the man you always want on your side. Born in poverty, he joined the army to escape jail and climbed the ranks by sheer brutal courage. He knows no other family than the regiment of the 95th Rifles, whose green jacket he proudly wears.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:36 -0400)

The year is 1811, and the French appear to have won their war in Portugal and Spain. The British army is penned into a small part of Portugal, while all of Spain except for the sea-wrapped city of Cadiz has fallen to the invader. Captain Richard Sharpe has no business being in Cadiz but finds himself in a city under French siege, attempting to defeat a blackmail attempt by Spaniards who want to break the alliance with Britain and forge a friendship with Napoleon's France plans that only Sharpe can thwart.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,437,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible