SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Being a Green Mother

by Piers Anthony

Series: Incarnations of Immortality (5)

Orb had a rare gift--the magic which manifested whenever she sang or played her harp. No one could resist her music. But she knew that greater magic lay in the Llano, the mystic music that controlled all things. The quest for the Llano occupied Orb's life. Until she met Natasha, handsome and charming, and an even finer musician. But her mother Niobe came as an Aspect of Fire, with the news that Orb had been chosen for the role of Incarnation of Nature--The Green Mother. But she also warned of a prophecy that Orb was to marry Evil. Could she be sure that Natasha was not really Satan, the Master of Illusion, laying a trap for her?… (more)

I have always enjoyed Piers Anthony's books but I had never read this series. As a whole I quite enjoyed this series of books. I found the characters and story to be clever and interesting. It sort of reminded me of a more adult version of a Rick Riordan series of books. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Love it over and over and over. Time to read again to review.

Reread 2018 - okay this was very very good and I take back all I said about Satan stories. This one I could not put down but read right through. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Orb spent her life searching for the magic song of the Llano. When she meets Natasha, she feels as if she’s met her match. She begins to become more than a musician as she becomes more enmeshed with the Llano.

This is my favorite of the series. I like how everything in the other books comes together in this book. Although I truly hate the name Orb (really- how stupid a name is this?), I really do like her character. I still don’t like the misogyny that is so prevalent in Anthony’s books, but I’m able to look past it a little in this book. My biggest complaint with this book, though, is how he didn’t name the members of the band- it smacks of laziness on the author’s part. ( )
  aharey | Apr 2, 2016 |
This book was pretty terrible. By far the worst of the series, to the point where I'm contemplating not reading the remaining to entries. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I have read some reviews that have said this book was to be the last in the series, an I can understand that because Anthony does a superb job of tying everything together from the previous four novels. But I also know there are three more books I can't wait to read!

This book is much like the others--where it follows the process of a new incarnation taking office, however, it differs in that the new Green Mother doesn't take her office until the last hundred or so pages. The majority of the book is Orb's (Luna [Death's girlfriend]'s 'cousin/sister' and Niobe [Fate]'s daughter, War's old girlfriend, and Orlene [Time's gf]'s mom) quest for the song of the Llano--the song that can heal the sick, cure addiction, etc.

A good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Anthony, PiersAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crisp, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

She was just a child, but in the dream she was a woman, beautiful, in a bridal gown, walking down a long aisle on the arm of a man she couldn't quite see.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,348,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible