Now You See It: How the Brain Science of Attention Will Transform the Way…

by Cathy N. Davidson

Documents a 2003 experiment at Duke University where the author had free iPods issued to the freshman class to see how the device could be used academically, in a report that reveals other technological ideas that are revolutionizing education.

It took me forever to read this book, and I'm not exactly sure why. While reading, my mind was flying around processing Cathy Davidson's ideas and experiences, applying them to my past, and my present, and figuring out how to incorporate them into my future. I would think about this book for days and talk about this book to multiple people; however somehow it was also easy for me to put down. I like this book a lot. Maybe it was easy to put down because my mind was so busy, I was looking things up, thinking about my life from different angles, brainstorming how to rework my working and learning environments...I'm not sure. Anyway, I liked the book. It always got me thinking, but it didn't hold on to me the way other books do.
  xo_books | Sep 29, 2019 |
I follow Cathy Davidson on Twitter, and read the reviews of this book in the NYT when it came out. So far, fascinating, and inspiring. Reassessing the importance of attention in the classroom, and the ways in which the traditional "industrial age" classroom has become obsolete are extremely important observations in this, the Information Age. Ms. Davidson is documenting a revolution in the way we think; it would be wise for educational institutions to be aware of (and act on) her commentary.
  voncookie | Jun 30, 2016 |
  anna_hiller | Jun 22, 2016 |
Don't be fooled by the cheeky title. In "Now You See It" Davidson manages to bridge research from neuroscience, education and business together to create a truly unique explanation for how our brains are changing in the post-internet age and how our schools and workplaces are slowly (and they are very slow) catching up.

Davidson writes with a cheerful optimism and effortlessly fuses personal anecdotes and academic research to make "Now You See It" an easy read. At the same time, she covers many topics through many disciplines and is careful never to jump to easy conclusions. Recommended. ( )
  jasonli | Sep 12, 2013 |
This book makes a strong case for collaboration and diversity if you want to see a big picture. I've seen this to be true in both work and social situations. Some things I’m thinking about as a result of reading it:
• Sometimes “pilot” can be just a label you give a project when you want a soft launch—might be better to leave expectations more open so that you won’t overlook unanticipated findings?
• She has a “strengths based” approach to a happy life, which I agree with. But I wonder if specializing too early, saying “I’m not good at that, interested in that” might cut off options later? Don't most jobs, relationships require that you be out of your comfort zone some of the time?
• Everyone needs to think "how can I jolt myself out of my routines so that I might see other options, areas for growth based on new technologies and opportunities?"
• Many of her examples of good environments for learning and working seem to come down to having truly engaged teachers and bosses—the exact techniques may matter less than just having someone thinking, aware, trying?
• It's a hopeful idea that if you think you are good at something you may actually be better at it than if you don’t. Believing clichés and excuses about getting older actually could make them come true?

Quotes:
• “When you think of learning as something external to yourself, learning becomes a levy—an assessment, not an asset. The assessment no longer matters after the schooling stops. The asset is a resource one draws on for a lifetime. “
• "If there is any word that defines the twentieth century, it might be normative: a defining and enforcing of standards of what counts as correct."

ehousewright | May 10, 2013 |

Cathy N. Davidson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,443,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible