Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram by…

Raw Spirit: In Search of the Perfect Dram (2003)

by Iain Banks

Reread as in the mood for something anecdotal, though I'd forgotten there was more about motoring than whisky in large parts of the book. Still enjoyable, mostly for the familiarity of places I've been and whiskies I know of (from a former job in whisky packaging, not because I've tasted as many as Mr Banks!) ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Fun, very informative, in a chaotically anecdotal way, about Banks' own favorite Scotches and by way of travelling to various distilleries, his favorite places in Scotland.

I enjoyed it and read it in less than two days, but I have to admit he sometimes goes on just a wee bit long in his personal stories of exploits with his old buddies, and he shows off his cars just a little too much. (Me, jealous of his BMW M5? Naw. ;-)

But over everything else I felt very sad that this exuberent, talented, strongly-opinionated good guy died this year, much too young. I'm sorry for his loved ones and I'm sorry about all the books of his I will never get to read now (he wasn't even 60 when he died - he would have had at least another ten books in him).

When I travel to Scotland I will raise a dram in his honor. At least once.

Recommended if you like his novels or good single-malt Scotch. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
Funny, great writing, and of course plenty of whisky. ( )
  ine1976 | Feb 6, 2014 |
Scotland. Booze. Scottish booze. There is no bad here. ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
Read 2011, Often hilarious account of author's rambles round Scotland, in search of the perfect dram ( )
  DramMan | Jul 22, 2012 |
For Gary and Christiane
‘BANKSIE, HI. WHAT you up to?’

In a bid to uncover the unique spirit of the single malt whisky, author Iain Banks has decided to undertake a tour of the distilleries of his homeland. His tour of Scotland combines history, literature and landscape in an entertaining and informative account.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible