People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from…

by Richard Lloyd Parry

Richard Lloyd Parry, an award-winning foreign correspondent, chronicles the 2000 disappearance, massive search, long investigation, and the even longer murder trial behind the gruesome murder case of Lucie Blackman in Japan.

A very thorough and well written true crime story. One of the things I liked best about the book was the insights into Japanese society and culture, especially around their criminal justice system. ( )
  MysteryTea | Jun 14, 2021 |
Spellbinding tale but 50 pages over reported. Meaning this story would lose nothing being 70 pages shorter and demonstrating some editing chops and restraint on the author’s part. The last thing he should want is us, the reader, left with the feeling that his story would be better served by a 28 minute episode of Forensic Files. ( )
  Smokler | Jan 3, 2021 |
Man, this book just went on and on into the most mundane detail... Way too long. Yes there were gruesome parts but those weren't the bad parts. The trivialities got longer and more boring... And if I could have jumped chapters by skipping all the dull minute details I would have. Editing... It's a lost art.

OK narrator, a bit sleepy (or maybe it just felt that way when the topic was yet another boring detail of this guy's life) ( )
  marshapetry | Oct 16, 2020 |
I found the parts of this that touched on the Japanese justice system most interesting, but I also appreciated the details about Lucie's family and the ways such violent crimes affect those left behind. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
A riveting read. ( )
  alexleonard | Jun 7, 2020 |

Richard Lloyd Parryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mum and Dad
Lucie wakes up late, as usual.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,527,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible