Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Under Ground

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London (3), Peter Grant (3)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (86)  Dutch (1)  All languages (87)
Magic develops further, and we get an entire new race below London. Still very witty, and I just cannot resist a "magic underground in London" story. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Get's 4 stars because I really enjoyed it, laughed out loud, and I have been mean with the stars of parts #1 and #2. The plot was a bit chaotic but the characters are a pleasure. An easy read but the underlying social politics are faced head on with humour and no polemics. Shows the reader instead of telling them what to think. A shame this quality is so rare.
And the strategems of young magical practitioners dealing with life in the magic and non-magic worlds are as compelling as they always are. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This is some of the best urban fantasy I have read in a long time. The series is just brilliant. Now book 4 come outalready! ( )
  macthekat82 | May 15, 2018 |
This series is such an entertaining blend of magic and detective work. Overall, though, I felt this volume was a little rushed, and not so complex as the previous two were. Still, it was witty, and I like Grant and Nightingle, and especially I liked the fact that Lesley is now part of the "magical team". I adore her. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
It just gets better and better

This is a remarkable series and I feel lucky to have stumbled across it. Terrific stories, well told, with characters I would love to have a pint with someday. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

Something's stirring in
London's Underground tunnels.
Grant investigates!
(passion4reading)

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,218,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible