Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch

Whispers Under Ground

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London (3), Peter Grant (3)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Jannes)
    Jannes: For all your "supernatural secrets in the London underground" needs.
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Offbeat magicians in London

English (80)  Dutch (1)  All (81)
A dead body at the Baker Street tube station brings constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant literally underground to find what oddity has caused the young man's murder. This is an amazingly entertaining series - the heroes are clever and funny, the baddies are unpredictable and dangerous, and the storylines are as fantastical as they are fantastic. After reading the first book, I immediately bought the rest of the series and this installment too shows I made the right decision. More, please. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 7, 2017 |
Enjoyed this one a lot more that its predecessor as it focused more on a case and less on building up the cast of characters (which allowed for better story and mystery).

The only odd thing was I kept waiting for more with an inserted FBI agent character who seemed of more importance based on the back cover copy. I was kept waiting for any payoff from those hints, as it never really went anywhere.

Still, this series is loads of fun if you like British mysteries with a touch of urban magic. Here's hoping the next book gives us more of D.I. Nightengale, as he was very lacking in this episode. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
The story was easier to follow than that in the previous book, and there were no cringe-making sex scenes, which was a bonus. I like the historical sidelines - the 'fake' houses built above tube lines and Notting Hill's potteries and piggeries past.

Editing still a bit slipshod and I was surprised to find Abigail reading Jackie, which stopped being published in 1993. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Don't know how accurate the police procedural parts of these are, but they are a hoot to read. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jul 29, 2017 |
It's rare for me to like a mystery series, but wow the characters in this one are so delightful, diverse, complicated, smart, snarky, and great. I laughed, I gasped, I enjoyed every minute listening while doing otherwise tedious tasks like commuting, traveling, chores. I have rarely liked a dude as much as I like Peter Grant. Kobna Holdbrook-Smith's audiobook narrations continue to be amazing (the accents are all lovely with the exception of the Americans, which are hilariously bad and I find that so endearing). ( )
  Gretchening | Jul 20, 2017 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would say to them as they shook in their fear,

"Now what is your paltry book,

Or the Phidian touch of the chisel's point,

That can make the marble look,

To this monster of ours, that for ages lay

In the depths of the deaming earth,

Till we brought him out with a cheer and a shout,

And hammer'd him into birth?"

—"The Engine," Alexander Anderson
In memory of Blake Snyder (1957-2009) who not only saved the cat but the writer, the mortgage and the career as well.
Back in the summer I'd made the mistake of telling my mum what I did for a living.

Something's stirring in
London's Underground tunnels.
Grant investigates!
(passion4reading)

When the son of a wealthy, politically powerful family is found dead, London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant investigates this case, which is linked to a rogue magician known as the Faceless Man--and which takes him deep within the deadliest subway system in the world.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible