Kaiulani, the People's Princess by Ellen…

Kaiulani, the People's Princess

by Ellen Emerson White

Series: The Royal Diaries (Hawaii, 1889)

Heart breaking. That's how I would describe this book. It had it's fun and funny parts, but mostly my heart was breaking for Kaiulani and her people. So many horrible things happened to them and to her in particular and I never knew. I had never heard of her or what happened to the people on the Islands of Hawaii. It's a disgrace, really, and I'm glad I know now and I hope I don't forget. The book is worth the read just for the historical value alone if you didn't know about this like me. Well written, very good. 5 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this book in a heart beat. ( )
  Beammey | Jan 2, 2016 |
I absolutely love the entire Royal Diaries series. They are all incredibly brilliant. MY favorite are Jahanara, Eleanor and Lady of Ch'iao Kuo. They're a great way to learn history. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
Entire Series:

Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. by Kristiana Gregory
Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Warrior of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531 by Laurence Yep
Sondok: Princess of the Moon and Stars, Korea, A.D. 595 by Sheri Holman
Mary, Queen of Scots: Queen Without a Country, France, 1553 by Kathryn Lasky
Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 by Patricia McKissack
Jahanara: Princess of Princesses, India, 1627 by Kathryn Lasky
Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638 by Carolyn Meyer
Weetamoo: Heart of the Pocassets, Massachusetts - Rhode Island, 1653 by Patricia Clark Smith
Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria-France, 1769 by Kathryn Lasky
Victoria: May Blossom of Britannia, England, 1829 by Anna Kirwan
Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria-Hungary, 1853 by Barry Denenberg
Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan 1858 by Kathryn Lasky
Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889 by Ellen Emerson White
Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess, Russia, 1914 by Carolyn Meyer ( )
  I_recommend | Jan 7, 2010 |
Born to privilege in 1875 as the daughter of King Kalakau of Hawaii's youngest sister Miriam Likelike and her Scottish husband, Archibald Cleghorn, Princess Victoria Kaiulani Cleghorn enjoyed a luxurious childhood. But her life has not been without sorrow - Kaiulani suffered the tragic loss of her young mother when she was just eleven. Second in line to inherit the throne, Kaiulani is sent to England at the age of thirteen to be educated. Even though it is her duty as an heir to the throne, Kaiulani longs for her beautiful home and her family. In England, Kaiulani is a stranger in a strange land. Her only reminder of home is her half-sister Annie, who has accompanied her. But as years go by, England finally begins to seem like something of a second home. But even far from the place of her birth she cannot escape tragedy. Her uncle, the King, dies, and his surviving sister, Liliuokalani, becomes Queen. Now Kaiulani is heir apparent to the throne of Hawaii. But if the Americans have their way, there will be no throne left for Kaiulani to inherit. Told through the form of Kaiulani's fictional diary entries from 1889-1893, this book revealed what life was like for Hawaii's last princess. It was a very interesting book about a little known and tragic historical figure. ( )
  rebecca191 | Nov 12, 2008 |
Written as a diary, about Kaiulani, Princess of Hawaii, her experiences at boarding school, and having to watch her country be taken away. A great series for young girls!

One feature of the Royal Diaries series is once the story is finished, the author includes a section which is only facts: pictures/portraits of the main characters, family trees, a "What life was like in (insert name) lived" to help the reader distinguish between what we know about the characters, what we assume from artifacts found, and what the author made up to help the story along. ( )
  AngelaB86 | Jul 30, 2007 |

Ellen Emerson Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439129095, Hardcover)

Ellen Emerson White's contribution to the fictionalized Royal Diaries series portrays the short life of Hawaiian princess Kaiulani Cleghorn. The daughter of a European merchant and a Hawaiian princess, Kaiulani was a direct heir to the Kalakaua dynasty, and third in line for the Hawaiian throne. In her diary, she details her lavish wardrobe, her pet peacocks, and her unusual friendship with the shy, sweet writer Robert Louis Stevenson. When she leaves her beloved islands to attend boarding school in 1889, Kaiulani makes the best of it, noting: "I go off not for myself, but for all of the Hawaiians I will someday lead." Sadly, that was never to be. While Kaiulani was overseas, the Hawaiian monarchy was overthrown by American Reformers, mostly businessmen interested in cashing in on Hawaii's sugarcane and teak industries. Kaiulani immediately left Europe to plead her country's case to President Cleveland and other American dignitaries. But her efforts were in vain--Hawaii was annexed to the United States by 1898. Kaiulani died a year later at the age of 23, many believe of a broken heart. This tragic chapter in American history is relatively unknown, and while the origins of Hawaii's statehood will no doubt intrigue many young readers, it is Kaiulani's determined and hopeful voice that will stay with them long after the last page is turned. Emerson White concludes the diary with an epilogue, historical notes, a diagram of the Kalakaua family tree, six pages of photographs, and a glossary of Hawaiian words. (Ages 9 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

Follows the life of Victoria Kaiulani Cleghorn from 1889 to 1893 as she studies to be a better princess, even as Hawaii's monarchy, and her throne, are being undermined by American businessmen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,466,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible