Obsidian Butterfly

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Series: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (9)

Vampire hunter Anita Blake is forced into an uneasy alliance with Edward, a bounty hunter specializing in the preternatural, as she searches for a mysterious and evil force that maims, kills, and vanishes into the night without a trace.
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the Aztec gods.
    The Compass Rose by Gail Dayton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: On balancing the polyamorous lifestyle. Oh, and slaying monsters.

English (78)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
I really loved Laurell K. Hamilton's early Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series books but I did feel like she lost the thread a bit in the middle of the series. I am glad to say that it seems like she is focusing more on the story line and less on the sex of late which makes the books better in my opinion. I think Anita is a great character and Laurell K. Hamilton can write a great plot but her overly complicated sex scenes can somewhat take away from the book. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I think this may be the best book in the series so far, with some caveats. The book has a lot of things in it that could trigger people. Children in danger to name just one. So choose to read this with care.

This book has a lot more horror elements than previous books.

This book features Edward, so you get to know more about him and his relationship with Anita. I thought it started slow. It could have used some editing to tighten things up a bit. I thought it was a bit repetitious about Edward and how Anita sees him.

But once things got going, I found it to be a real page turner. Horror, supernatural creatures, Aztec mythology, and black ops. Something for everyone. ( )
  jezebellydancer | May 10, 2021 |
This was definitely not my favorite Anita Blake mostly because we see nothing of Richard or the weres and almost nothing of Jean Claude. ( )
  Nicole_girl | Mar 8, 2021 |
The pinnacle of the Anita Blake series, before it all went downhill. Anita is still tough, funny, and not sleeping with everything that moves. Edward is both the relentless killer, and a real human with weaknesses. ( )
  mpark6288 | Nov 19, 2020 |
This is the book that should have ended the Anita Blake series. She should have stayed in New Mexico and continued killing all the creepy creatures in the world instead of going back to St. Louis. New readers, stop at this book. Make up some story about why Anita stays in NM and don't bother with the rest of the series. ( )
  CeceliaS | Nov 10, 2020 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fusari, ErikaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murello, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tony Stone ImagesPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for all the Edward fans, who by their letters, questions, and sheer interest let me know that they were as interested in knowing more about him as I was.
I was covered in blood, but it wasn't mine, so it was okay.

"MY NAME IS ANITA BLAKE. I'D LIKE YOU TO MEET EDWARD...

'Edward was a hit man. He specialized in monsters. Vampires, shape-shifters, anything and everything. There were people like me who did it legal, but Edward didn't sweat the legalities or, hell, the ethics. He was an equal opportunity killer. I may be one of the few friends that Edward has, but it's like being friends with a tame leopard. It may curl on the foot of your bed and let you pet its head, but it can still eat your throat out...'"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,165,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible