HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Retromania: Pop Culture's Addiction to Its Own Past

by Simon Reynolds

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
3241068,669 (3.75)7
We live in a pop age gone loco for retro and crazy for commemoration. Band re-formations and reunion tours, expanded reissues of classic albums and outtake-crammed box sets, remakes and sequels, tribute albums and mash-ups ... But what happens when we run out of past? Are we heading toward a sort of cultural-ecological catastrophe, where the archival stream of pop history has been exhausted? Retromania is the first book to examine the retro industry and ask the question: Is this retromania a death knell for any originality and distinctiveness of our own?… (more)
culture (63)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 7 mentions

Showing 1-5 of 10 (next | show all)
Ich habe gefühlt noch nie so lange an einem Buch herumgekaut, wie an diesem. Nach über einem Monat habe ich das Namedrop-Dauertrommelfeuer des Hrn. Reynolds nun überstanden.
Wirklich gefallen und angesprochen hat mich dabei eigentlich nur der Teil 3 "Morgen" und da insbesondere Kapitel 10 "Die Geister der vergangenen Zukunft - Sampling, Hauntology und Mashups". In diesem Kapitel arbeitet er recht gut den Begriff "Hauntology" auf und geht auf aktuelle Strömungen wie Chillwave ein.
Besonders genervt hat das Herumgeprahle mit Wissen über alle Spielarten des Folk, einem Genre, mit dem ich null anfangen kann. Dieses Genre dürfte ihm beim Niederschreiben des Buches gerade gefallen haben und es taucht ständig an verschiedensten Stellen des Buches als Namedropping von Superunbekannten Weird-Folk Artists auf.
Alles in allem war das Buch für mich größtenteils ein riesengroßes BLA und es blieb wenig, bis gar nichts hängen. Eine Herausforderung ist gegeben, wenn man das Buch als Anleitung zur Schnitzeljagd sieht, aber letztendlich ist mir das auch zu blöd und bzgl. Hauntology blieb hängen: Boards of Canada ist superwichtig für dieses Genre und das war es auch schon wieder und aus. ( )
  chepedaja3527 | Aug 23, 2022 |
4.5 - Reread of this. Reynolds goes a little too much into music nerddom at times and parts are slightly dated now, but this is still an excellent piece of academic yet highly accessible work. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
This book would alienate readers less if it didn't set out its goal immediately - it mostly is a history, rather than the dismissal of contemporary music that it kind of sets itself up as. Reynolds has always been honest about what do or doesn't excite him about music while he does outstanding musical analysis in the context of social history; this one is no different. ( )
  triphopera | Apr 14, 2018 |
The central argument got lost in the pervading sense that the past was, in fact, better than current culture. ( )
  colleenrec | Jun 23, 2017 |
I'm not 100% convinced by Reynolds' arguments. He makes the case that pop has been eating itself perfectly well, but he didn't convince me it's bad. This was, however, a great history lesson, and I discovered some new-to-me music, so it gets back one of the stars it would have otherwise lost 8) ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Showing 1-5 of 10 (next | show all)

Belongs to Publisher Series

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Information from the Italian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC
We live in a pop age gone loco for retro and crazy for commemoration. Band re-formations and reunion tours, expanded reissues of classic albums and outtake-crammed box sets, remakes and sequels, tribute albums and mash-ups ... But what happens when we run out of past? Are we heading toward a sort of cultural-ecological catastrophe, where the archival stream of pop history has been exhausted? Retromania is the first book to examine the retro industry and ask the question: Is this retromania a death knell for any originality and distinctiveness of our own?

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (3.75)
0.5
1
1.5
2 2
2.5 1
3 16
3.5 4
4 19
4.5 4
5 8

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,766,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible