dismiss

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (2002)

by Jan-Philipp Sendker

Series: Burma (1)

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be--until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience, and passion that will reaffirm the listener's belief in the power of love to move mountains.… (more)
Recently added byJenni.Naskali, Arina40, AnnArborBound, Olivermagnus, private library

English (89)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (95)
Die Suche nach ihrem vermissten Vater führt Julia Win von New York nach Kalaw, einem malerischen, in den Bergen Burmas versteckten Dorf. Ein vierzig Jahre alter Liebesbrief ihres Vaters an eine unbekannte Frau hat sie an diesen magischen Ort geführt. Hier findet sie nicht nur einen Bruder, von dem sie nichts wusste, sondern stößt auch auf ein Familiengeheimnis, das ihr Leben für immer verändert.
  Fredo68 | May 18, 2020 |
Julia’s father disappeared, so she heads to Burma to find him. When there, she meets someone who tells her a tale of her father and another woman, a women who was not her mother.

Summed up in one word: boring. I have no idea what prompted me to add this to my tbr! Even just before starting, I looked at the title, and wondered about that – based on the title, it did not sound like something that I would like... and I was right. It actually started a bit creepy, I thought, what the man (who ultimately told the story) said to Julia. It might have been more entertaining for me had it stayed creepy! The end was super-unrealistic and eye-rolling. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 16, 2020 |
A young woman travels to Burma in search of her estranged father. His story is reveled to her uniquely through a third party storyteller. Elements of romanticism, fantasy, and mystery swirl around the reader in this enjoyable novel. ( )
  niquetteb | Apr 16, 2019 |
This is the story of Julia who goes to Burma in search of the father that abandoned her and her mother. She has never forgiven him but wanted to know why. She has found a love letter among her father's things, to a woman she has never known. Julia need to know the answer to her father's disappearance from her life, so she heads to the village where the woman supposedly lives.

She meets a man who promises to tell her the story of her father and who knows of the woman, so she agrees to listen if it means she gets her answers. In listening to the story, she uncovers her father's past and a love that spanned a lifetime.

I thought this book was wonderful. I had a hard time putting it down, because I was enjoying listening to the story of Julia's father's childhood and how he met the love of his life. Julia's father was blind as a child for many, many years, and since my own daughter is legally blind, this hit a cord. I enjoyed reading his resilience to his sudden blindness and how he still found friendship, and love. And in the end, we learn who the man is and how he knows the story of Julia's father which ended the book perfectly.

I encourage you to pick up this book and read it. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Julia's dad disappeared four years ago.
Her mother recently gave her a box of his belongings and inside was a letter he wrote to a woman in Burma but never mailed.
The letter is decades old, but it's the only clue Julia has to go on. So she goes to Burma, hoping to find out what happened to her dad.

She meets a man that tells her the story of Win (her father) and Mi Mi. The had an incredible love and were torn apart as teenagers.

Most of the book takes place as the story of Win and Mi Mi.

I enjoyed the story but honestly I just did not understand why Win didn't go back sooner. That part of the story made the overall story less enjoyable for me. I know it's the only way to have built up the drama to the end, but it seemed like a bigger reason was needed that could account for these two being kept apart. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |

Jan-Philipp Sendkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiliarty, KevinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Burma (1)

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Anna, Florentine, and Jonathon
And in memory of Vivian Wong (1969-2000)
The old man's eyes struck me first.

When Julia Win's father disappears one morning without a trace, the day after her graduation from law school, her family is left unsettled and confused. It's not until a few years later that her mother finds a piece of the puzzle - an unmailed love letter to a Burmese woman named Mi Mi.

Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father's past, Julia puts her career and her life on hold to travel to the village where Mi Mi once lived. Her journey takes her to the small mountain village of Kalaw where she is approached by a man who claims to know her father, and who seems to have an uncanny knowledge of Julia herself. Intrigued, she returns to meet him every afternoon and listen to his incredible tales of her father's youth - of his childhood blindness, his education at a monastery, and, most of all, about his passionate relationship with a local girl.

At first Julia is unwilling to believe that the romantic boy in this poignant story has anything to do with her reticent father, but soon she can no longer withstand the almost mystical invoking of mysterious past events, entwined as they are with the influence of the stars and with a love larger than life.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats is a magical and uplifting tale of hardship and resilience, and the unyielding power of love to move mountains.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,059,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible