Sector 7 by David Wiesner

Sector 7 (1999)

by David Wiesner

8419015,476 (4.35)13

The wordless picture book "Sector 7" is about a boy that goes on a school field trip to the empire state building. On his field trip he meets a cloud that takes him sector 7 up in the clouds. There he fascinated by the different shapes of clouds like fish and other sea creatures. The clouds eventually end up in the city and take him to places throughout the city. I highly recommend this book as the pictures in the book are so detailed, it leaves you in awe. The book itself is so interesting and conveys a powerful message of pure imagination through its illustrations. It definitely has the power to draw its readers in. ( )
  Loganhef | Sep 21, 2018 |
While a young boy is on a field trip the the empire state building he befriends a cloud and ends up visiting Sector 7. Sector 7 is where clouds are made and the boy begins to design new cloud blueprints such as fish and stars. This is an imaginative story surrounding the idea of everyone seeing unique images in the clouds. This story could lead to a creative lesson in the classroom where students draw their own vision of what they see in the clouds. ( )
  sdewitt | Sep 20, 2018 |
I wouldn't read this to a younger group of kids. I think that maybe it is a little too advanced for them. I would also have a conversation as we are going through the book so that we can kind of talk through what is happening since there are no words. I would on each page ask a handful of kids what they notice and what they think is happening and what is going to happen. This is good for older kids to slowly get them thinking deeper and more critically. ( )
  s_cat1 | Sep 17, 2018 |
A boy goes on a field trip and befriends a cloud at the top of the empire state building. The boy's new friend takes him to a place called sector 7 where all the clouds are directed to be certain shapes and go to certain areas of the sky. The boy encourages the clouds to be something else and they change into all sorts of fish and underwater creatures. I loved how much this picture book tell the story through the action in each image. Even though the places traveled and sights seen were far and wide, no words were needed to clarify anything. I also loved that the boys imagination disrupts things for the better. Essentially, the boy is already a true artist. Whether his imagination be the underwater creatures he designed for the community of clouds, or it be the fact that he befriended a cloud on a school field trip, his imagination showcases that we have the power to change things if we simply envision and act upon the change we want to see. ( )
  BeauLou | Sep 4, 2018 |
The young boy takes a field trip to the Empire State Building, but he meets a new friend, a cloud. The cloud takes him to Sector 7, which is where the clouds are made. The boy lets his imagination run wild as he start drawing new clouds to be created. This book would be good to use for students to learn about imagination and coming up with different ideas. It would be good for prewriting lessons and brainstorming. ( )
  smm101 | Jan 29, 2018 |
For Jaime
who always says, "Read a book!"
For Dorothy Briley
I think you would be pleased
Full title (1999): Sector 7 / David Wiesner; While on a school trip to the Empire State Building, a boy is taken by a friendly cloud to visit Sector 7, where he discovers how clouds are shaped and channeled throughout the country.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395746566, Hardcover)

In another wondrous, wordless picture book by Caldecott Medal winner David Wiesner (Tuesday and June 29, 1999), a class visiting the Empire State Building finds complete cloud cover and no visibility. One boy makes friends with a cloud (identifiable in the mists by the red mittens, hat, and scarf and swipes from the boy), and goes AWOL on a wonderful adventure. The cloud whisks him away to the "Sector 7" floating cloud factory, a bizarre sky station that looks like a Victorian design for a submarine.

Hiding behind his new cumulonimbus friend, the boy enters an area resembling Grand Central Station (complete with "Arrivals" and "Departures" boards) and watches officious human types in uniform giving the clouds their weather assignments. When the clouds complain to the boy that their assigned shapes are boring, he, a talented artist, creates new blueprints for them. The stuffy grownups are furious when clouds start emerging in the shape of fantastic fish; they shout at the clouds, tear up the new designs, and escort the boy back to his school group. But the revolt of the clouds is unstoppable now, and in the last few pages the skies over Manhattan suddenly get a lot more interesting. (Click to see a sample spread. Copyright 1999 by David Wiesner. With permission of Clarion Books.) (Ages 2 to 8) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible