Ancient Rome (Eyewitness Books) by Simon…

Ancient Rome (Eyewitness Books)

by Simon James

Simon James manages to redeem his earlier issues in this book. While still a reference book with a focus on the broad strokes, the use of artifacts and imagery from the ancient art (or reproductions thereof makes this book seem more complete and thought out. My major complaint this time, though, is the time spent on the more harsh aspects of Roman life. As often occurs in books about the Romans, the author spends a lot of time on the military and the arena; while the military was essential to Rome and the arena an important cultural touchstone, they arent the only things the Romans did. This book does at least try to balance things out with other topics, but the inevitable overfocus on the gladiatorial combat is a little disappointing. The layout of this book will appeal to younger readers who prefer images and brief captions, though this one is tougher to track where the captions belong than some others might be. The organization by idea is pretty good too, though sometimes the pages get a little cluttered.
  gemerritt | May 2, 2015 |
This is a book that details many aspects of Ancient Rome. It discusses roles and responsibilities, wars and warriors, growing up, transportation, death, theater and arts, and much much more. It provides great information and pictures of things that Ancient Romans used or had.
  JessicaSchroeder | Oct 5, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Nov 12, 2011 |
Ancient Rome by Simon James. Age: grades 6-8. Library section: Youth, Religion and Values.
This is one of the Eyewitness series of nonfiction books by Dorling Kindersley, a children’s book publisher known for their fabulous color photos and entertaining factual text laid out on crisp white pages. I wish I had every one of these books. I try to get those for the library that have some connection to religions, religious history, or Bible lands.
This book on ancient Rome helps us understand what the world was like at the time of Jesus, and the political environment he had to deal with, especially in relation to his trial and crucifixion. The book first explains the city-state concept and how Rome grew to be a super-power. Then it covers the emperors, legionary soldiers, senators, citizens, slaves, women, growing up, house and home, builders and engineers, the arena, the theater, Roman baths, crafts workers, music, gods and worship, and so on. The text is lavishly illustrated with close-up photos of actual artifacts of the era, from helmets to coins to jewelry to horse harness. It’s just like having a huge archaeological display for your personal examination and enjoyment. What could be cooler for a kid, or for the kid in all of us?
Read this book with your children, and then watch with them some of those old Biblical epics like Ben-Hur or The King of Kings. My old favorite was Demetrius and the Gladiators starring Victor Mature. A kid who likes Legos might want to try making a replica of the Colosseum, a Roman temple, or a Pompeiian ruin.
Note to parents: FCAT reading comprehension tests utilize NONfiction selections. Encouraging your children to read nonfiction like this book will help them score higher on FCAT reading tests. Nonfiction also gives your children a larger knowledge base and vocabulary. But don’t tell them that. Just find the volumes in this collection that interest them the most, and borrow them from your church or public library. We ended up buying a few of our kids’ favorites in this series. They are a solid investment to keep for your future visitors and grandkids! ( )
  Epiphany-OviedoELCA | Aug 26, 2011 |
Informative with plenty of pictures. However, I felt that this book wasn't as effective in giving an idea of how the Romans actually lived in their society as other junior history books on the Romans does. I guess an analogy would be a children's history book on our era only having pictures of iPods, TVs, game consoles, without really getting into a general detail as to how they lived with all these items. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jul 23, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679807411, Hardcover)

Ancient Rome is another in the superb Eyewitness Books reference series for young people. Interesting, informative text combined with lots of great color photos bring the Roman Empire to life. Artifacts from the daily lives of slaves and emperors alike make the people seem real, their activities immediate. Special treats are the glass marbles--just like kids play with today--and centurion armor. A great addition to a young historian's bookshelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

A photo essay documenting ancient Rome and the people who lived there as revealed through the many artifacts they left behind, including shields, swords, tools, toys, cosmetics, and jewelry.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,578,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible