Letters Home (1975)

by Sylvia Plath

Other authors: Aurelia Schober Plath (Editor)

Sylvia Plath's correspondence, addressed chiefly to her mother, from her time at Smith College in the early 1950s up to her suicide in London in February 1963. In addition to her capacity for domestic and writerly happiness, these letters also hint at her potential for deep despair.

English (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (4)
Plath's unwavering, honest voice is awe-inspiring. This is such a tender book, and such an incredibly intimate look at a mother-daughter relationship, that is probably so normal, and yet so rare. Reading people's correspondence is always fascinating, but when it's this honest and open it really does become a look into a completely different world, a glimpse of another person's mind. At the same time, it is all the more haunting to know how this happy and in many times strong woman met such a terrible fate in the end. ( )
  Mavol | Apr 20, 2009 |
Such a clear and sorrowful account of her life from her own words. ( )
  bigorangecat | Aug 7, 2008 |
My parents ordered this for me from our little local bookshop in about 1987 because they knew I really wanted it. A postcard inside is my favourite rejection letter.
  housewives-at-home | Feb 14, 2007 |

Plath, Sylviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aurelia Schober PlathEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my grandchildren: Frieda and Nicholas, Jennifer, and Susan.
In answer to the avalanche of inquires that has descended upon me ever since the publication of Sylvia's poems in Ariel and her novel, The Bell Jar, I am release a section of her intimate correspondence with her family from the time she entered Smith College. (Introduction)
Dearest Mummy,

Well, only five minutes till midnight, so I thought I'd spend them writing my first letter to my favorite person.

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,009,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible