Treasure Hunter: A Memoir of Caches, Curses,…

Treasure Hunter: A Memoir of Caches, Curses, and Confrontations

by W. C. Jameson

I typically enjoy adventure stories, however this one had some credibility issues. ( )
  Mathenam | Jul 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very readable, but unbelievable collection of stories about treasures found and somehow never recovered. I had recurring credibility concerns reading the stories, which feel more like tall tales than true memoir. ( )
  readaholic12 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Boy, I really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of adventure films and treasure hunters, but this one just didn't do it for me.

For lack of a better term, the writing was a bit cheesy for me. It came across amateurish in some cases and overly braggadocious on others (sometimes both at once).

I felt like I was reading tall tales from an old alpha male what wanted all the young guys to know how tough he really was. If I had to read about everything he did was illegal or dangerous another time, I was going to do something dangerous to myself.

To be honest, I only finished the book out of loyalty to LibraryThing for giving me a review copy. Otherwise, I probably would not have made it past the first couple of chapters. ( )
  Kolchak | Mar 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Twitter review: Find old treasure map, research veracity, add unnamed colleagues, go unnamed location in American West or Mexico, trek through desert, meet many hardships but always rattlesnakes, bring back small sample of treasure, lament that conditions did not allow you to return for rest, reiterate to self you are not in it for the money. Repeat 15 more times. ( )
  BookWallah | Feb 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Who hasn't always wanted to stumble over the pirate's treasure, the bandit's bank sack, the dragon's hoard? W. C. Jameson has spent his life doing just that. This is his memoir of a life spent treasure hunting. Well written and enthralling you may take a few moments to question his complete veracity, but who cares? What fun! His was a life filled with adventure that the rest of us can only envy. ( )
  varielle | Feb 4, 2015 |
For over five decades I have been a professional treasure hunter.

"There are not many left, we dreamers and wanderers...We are a breed of men addicted to danger, adventure, and the quest." Thus begins W.C. Jameson's account of one intrepid man's efforts to find the lost treasures of North America and beyond. Jameson and his partners piece together centuries-old histories through documents, maps, and stories passed down from one generation to the next, facing life-threatening danger time and again. These riveting stories, told with humor and candor, are a portal to another time, and are a testament to the spirited independence of risk-takers, a few of whom still exist in what we think of as the modern age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

W. C. Jameson's book Treasure Hunter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W. C. Jameson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,368,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible