Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

Extra Yarn (2012)

by Mac Barnett

Other authors: Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

1,12015311,748 (4.28)11
With a supply of yarn that never runs out, Annabelle knits for everyone and everything in town until an evil archduke decides he wants the yarn for himself.

I just don't think I like Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen overall. I like some of their work, and I like when they do work on their own, but overall I'm not a huge fan of either. I know they're both highly acclaimed and loved, but I just don't connect with them. I do always want to give them credit because they are so liked, and I can see why they would be appealing. ( )
  EMiMIB | Aug 2, 2019 |
little girl find a box of yarn and uses it to make sweaters and hats and she begins to transform her black and whit e town. But it seems that her magic box that never runs out of extra yarn will only work for her. Patterns make up the illustrations. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jun 26, 2019 |
Color! This is the first Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen book I have seen with so much color in it. Most of Jon Klassen's illustrations are dark and full of subtle designs, but Extra Yarn has color on almost every single page. As the little girl in the story shares her skills of knitting with more and more people in the town, the pages become more colorful. I think the use of colors in this book represents happiness and joy, because when the archduke steals her box of yarn the pages are all black and grey tones with no color at all. Klassen's artistic style is primarily darker tones in general, and I feel his use of colors in this book, in particular, was done exceptionally well. ( )
  oleger | Mar 25, 2019 |
This book was very cute, the way that the little girl was going out of her way to knit something for everybody in town was amazing. The meaning of the book is that kindness is a magical trait. The little girl was kind to everyone and knitted sweaters for everyone and everything in town, she had an endless supply of yarn. When the Lord stole the yarn from her the box was empty and there was no yarn in it. I really liked the illustrations of the book. The page that I thought stood out the most was the page that shows the whole town covered in yarn, every building in town was in a “sweater” of some sort. The other thing that I really liked about the book was how optimistic they made the main character. In the first pages her friend Nate comes over and makes fun of her for having matching sweaters with her pet. Instead of getting mad that Nate was making fun of her she offered to make Nate and his pet a sweater. She always believed that she would have enough yarn to make everyone something, and she always did. ( )
  sarahturpin | Mar 14, 2019 |
In this story, Annabelle lived in a small town where everything was either black or white. That all changed when she came across a box filled with colorful yarn. She began by making a sweater for her and her dog. She quickly would grasp the attention of others. First her neighbor ridiculed her, but only out of jealously. But Annabelle quickly made him a sweater, and that went away. Then her teacher told her she was a distraction, so she knitted one for everyone. She continued to knit and knit, but the box of yarn never ran out. An archduke wants to buy the box from her, and when she refuses to sell it, he sends robbers to steal it. But when he opens the box, it is empty. He is filled with anger and throws it into the sea, but it magically makes it way back to the little girl. ( )
  Jordyn.DeGuiseppi | Feb 24, 2019 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,520,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible