Glass Houses

by Rachel Caine

Series: Morganville Vampires (1)

In Morganville, Texas, a town where evil terrorizes the streets under the cover of darkness, Claire Danvers, who has had enough of her current dorm situation, moves off campus and discovers that her new roommates are vampires.

English (172)  Piratical (1)  All languages (173)
This series (so far) is a perfect example of how some YA books are OBVIOUSLY YA books. That's not always a bad thing, but there were many times while reading this one and the next that I had to suppress an eyeroll at how unrealistic things could be. Even in a book about vampires! I had a hard time imagining this genius 16yo, whose parents wouldn't let her go to a big school b/c they're over protective, also seem to play little part in her life at the small school. ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
“Crosses?"
"Definitely"
"Why?"
"Because they're evil, soulless, bloodsucking fiends?"
"So was my sixth-grade gym teacher, but he wasn't afraid of a cross.”
― Rachel Caine, Glass Houses

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.
Claire is a 16 and a half year old who is super smart and in college early. After Monica and her friends seem to be trying to kill her, she needs to move out of the dorms and find someplace else to live. The glass house is what she finds. With 3 new roommates who quickly become her friends. Eve who love the goth look but is very sweet and friendly, Shane who is a cocky jerk, but protective, and Micheal who is never around till the sun goes down. She learns that the down has a BIG secret and she is in danger, danger her friends are trying to help protect her from.
So this is not my first series by this author, I've been listening to the Stillhouse Lake series on audiobook. (Great series). I love this book. This was such an easy 5 stars, and truthfully I wasn't even sure I wanted to read it at first, but once I got into it I didn't want to put it down. I would have devoured it in a few hours if I had had the time. The book is older so I'm not going to comment on how original or unoriginal it is as I'm not sure where it falls in the vampire series timeline. However, I do love that its not another vampire love book. I like my share of vampire love books, but for the vampire to once again be the enemy is such a nice change. The characters are so loveable, all four. I will definitely be continuing this series, and hopefully soon.
How I choose my rating:
1* Did not finish, or hated it but forced myself to finish.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Loved this! By the time I finished this book I had already the next one ready...It's really well-written and the characters grown on you from the start, you only have to choose who you like most. Personally I have a thing for Shane...

The Morganville Vampires It's surely one of my fav young adult vamp series!!!
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
At the moment I'm not quite sure how to feel about this book. It was good, but I still kind of didn't like it. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the series, I just need a little bit of break of it first.
The book was definitely quite dark and the ending was absolutely shocking. I would have liked a little bit more romance in it and maybe a one nice vampire... But yeah, all in all, it was good start for the series. ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |
This book was a slow start and a little confusing to me, but once it hit its stride, I flew through it. I'm really enjoying going back to the rest of Caine's novels after falling in love with The Great Library series. ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |

Rachel Caineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Liz, who asked.
On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,060,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible