The King of Ireland's Son (1916)

by Padraic Colum

The King of Ireland's son sets out to find the Enchanter of the Back-Lands where he meets the Enchanter's daugh-ter Fedelma. He loses her and has many adventures to find her again.

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
My teacher read part of this to us in second grade - I didn't totally get it, but I liked it. ( )
  katieloucks | Mar 21, 2016 |
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Colum, Padraic - The King of Ireland's Son - mish-mosh of tales - bewitched princesses, brothers turned into swans, heroes who must accomplish an impossible task to win a bride - snooze-fest, and all the various princes became confusing - even moreso when at the end they all turn out to be brothers. Just how many children can a queen lose in one lifetime...?) ( )
  caro488 | Jun 9, 2010 |
A remarkable book! I loved it as a child, and still love it today. Colum weaves the threads of many Irish folktales, myths and legends into a single story -- "the unique tale" -- and sends his heroes (3, including a girl!) on a quest to discover that same story, and by so doing, to discover themselves. Complicated? Yes! but in the way that a piece of Waterford crystal, or an ancient illuminated manuscript is complicated. Intricate, perhaps, but not overly involved or confusing. Just lovely!
And, speaking of illuminations, the illustrations by Willy Pogany are marvelous! ( )
1 vote deirdrea | Dec 10, 2008 |

Padraic Columprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meijer-Kouwe, MargreetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pogány, WillyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ray, JaneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,302,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible