Flowers In The Attic by V. C. Andrews

Flowers In The Attic

by V. C. Andrews

Series: Dollanganger (1)

The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel (hairball)
    The Girl In The Lighthouse by Roxane Tepfer Sanford (LauraT81)
    LauraT81: If you enjoy V.C. Andrews then you'll love The Girl In The Lighthouse.

English (139)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  All languages (143)
Everyone read this in the 70s. Everyone.
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Man, what a classic. It is a little weird coming back to this book. I don't think I've picked it up since middle school and it didn't disappoint. Although, reading it with adult eyes..... even ickier then I remember. Basically, if you're one of the five people who haven't read this book, the premise of the book is a mother (Corrine) is trying to get back into her father's good graces after she was disowned by him for marrying her half uncle. They had a very happy marriage and had four kids, but after an accident that leaves her a widow, she has no money, nowhere to go, and no way to support her kids. Corrine's mother knows about the kids but her father does not (he would be beyond disgusted if he discovered children were born out of an incestuous relationship), the mother finally relents to give the grieving family a place to live. The only catch is, they can't let the grandfather know! The good thing is, they live in a mansion; the kids can run around in the attic and the grandmother sneaks them food everyday. They bad news is they have to hide up there until the grandfather dies. Corrine is convinced she can get back into her father's good graces and inherit everything and then she and the kids can live like kings. He just can't know about the kids! He's in bad health and should die any day. It seems like an okay plan. At first. But as the months drag by and the kids are stuck trying to make a life living in the attic, they start to realize that no amount of money is worth having to live like they are. They miss the breeze, the grass, the fresh air, and the freedom to run. Their mother is slowly changing and they don't know how to hold onto their sanity. At first she visits them twice a day. Then once. Then every few days. Then every few months. The years pass. How much can the kids take? Slowly but surely, incestuous thought begin to take place between the oldest two kids. Will the cycle never end?!?! ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 15, 2019 |
LOVE THIS BOOK. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Good book, one of my favorite authors ( )
  FredaCochran | Sep 28, 2018 |
I read this originally when I was in my teens -- I loved it! I still enjoyed it as an adult (if you've read this novel as a teen, I strongly suggest rereading it as an adult). There was so much I didn't remember!! It was fantastic to reread it!

Rereading it, but even originally when I read it as a teen, I really hate(d) that a lot of people will focus so much on the incest and completely ignore or forget that absolute torture that these children endured. For so many teens, I think, in the 80s, this book was really their first introduction to, like, "sex", which might be why they only remember the incest. There is so much more to the story than that ... their own MOTHER locked them away and then tried to kill them. How is that always overlooked!?

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Sep 12, 2018 |

V. C. Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
van Loon, ParmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
(Part One) Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?

Isaiah 45:9
This book is dedicated to my mother.
It is so appropriate to color hope yellow, like that sun we seldom saw. (Prologue)
Truly, when I was very young, way back in the Fifties, I believed all of life would be like one long and perfect summer day. (Chapter 1)
DO NOT COMBINE WITH BOXED SETS OR MULTIPLE-NOVELS

Way upstairs there are four secrets hidden. Blond, beautiful, innocent little secrets, struggling to stay alive. Flowers In the Attic The four Dollanganger children had such perfect lives -- a beautiful mother, a doting father, a lovely home. Then Daddy was killed in a car accident, and Momma could no longer support the family. So she began writing letters to her parents, her millionaire parents, whom the children had never heard of before. Momma tells the children all about their rich grandparents, and how Chris and Cathy and the twins will live like princes and princesses in their grandparents' fancy mansion. The children are only too delighted by the prospect. But there are a few things that Momma hasn't told them. She hasn't told them that their grandmother considers them "devil's spawn" who should never have been born. She hasn't told them that she has to hide them from their grandfather if she wants to inherit his fortune. She hasn't told them that they are to be locked away in an abandoned wing of the house with only the dark, airless attic to play in. But, Momma promises, it's only for a few days.... Then the days stretch into months, and the months into years. Desperately isolated, terrified of their grandmother, and increasingly convinced that their mother no longer cares about them, Chris and Cathy become all things to the twins and to each other. They cling to their love as their only hope, their only strength -- a love that is almost stronger than death.
"My lover is hot!"
Now hold on. You mean he is
her brother? Oh, ick.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671729411, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the Extroardinary Novel That Has Captured Millions in Its Spell!

All across America and around the world, millions of readers have been captivated by this strange, dark, terriifying tale of passion and peril in the lives of four innoocent children, locked away from the world by a selfish mother.

Flowers in the Attic is the novel that launched the extraordinary career of V.C. Andrews®, winning her an immediate and fiercely devoted worldwide following; today there are more than 85 million copies of her books in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:54 -0400)

Horror. 1st in trilogy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,079,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible