Hide and Seek (1991)

by Ian Rankin

Series: Inspector Rebus (2)

The second Inspector Rebus novel from 'Britain's No.1 crime writer' DAILY MIRROR. A junkie lies dead in an Edinburgh squat, spreadeagled, cross-like on the floor, between two burned-down candles, a five-pointed star daubed on the wall above. Just another dead addict - until John Rebus begins to chip away at the indifference, treachery, deceit and sleaze that lurks behind the facade of the Edinburgh familiar to tourists. Only Rebus seems to care about a death which looks more like a murder every day, about a seductive danger he can almost taste, appealing to the darkest corners of his mind...… (more)

English (53)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
Decent. Standard mystery. This second Rebus book is actually not quite as good as the first. It is more polished, yes, but aslo more balnd. I liked the rawness of the first book. Unfortunately I just could not get into the third one at all so stopped reading the series. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
I'm still new to the world of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus, but I quite enjoyed this. There's times where I'm not sure if it's the author messing up, or that Rebus simply is consciously cruel to others, but overall, an enjoyable story. Will definitely read more. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
I am definitely becoming an Inspector Rebus fan. His gruff, intelligent, awkward personality is engaging. The plot of this 2nd installment was a good one. An intelligent, nicely paced tale. ( )
  hemlokgang | May 1, 2021 |
Book 2 in the Inspector Rebus series. Marginally better than book 1, but I won't be reading any more in this series. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
rankin does tell a good story. even though the whodunnit component of the mystery is not difficult to figure out, the characters and plot keep things moving along nicely. as with book one, edinburgh's settings are an enjoyable draw. ( )
  JooniperD | Dec 13, 2018 |

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macpherson, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"My devil had long been caged, he came out roaring."--The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
To Michael Shaw, not before time
'Hide!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,108,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible