Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf

Dead Anyway

by Chris Knopf

73None165,679 (3.32)7
Recently added byVantine, wpwhite, private library, illinoisreader, Irishreader, timvim, chwest, KrisReads, Kris_Reads

Amazon review:
Dead Anyway was a gripping mystery, but ultimately disappointing to this reader. The plot is intriguing and launches quickly. Arthur Cathcart arrives home to find his wife Florencia held at gunpoint. The assailant forces her to fill in a mysterious set of five written questions, then shoots them both in the head. Florencia dies, but Arthur survives, albeit with some brain damage. Early in his recovery, stricken by grief, and unable to imagine continuing his former life without his wife, he decides to fake his own death, and avenge his wife's murder. Arthur uses a combination of real-world and internet sleuthing to pursue the culprit. He is assisted by a reporter, an ex-cop, and most notably by his sister and a Casino worker, with whom he (predictably) falls in love. The events are generally plausible, but late in the book, there are a couple of twists that seem more like artifice than reality. The end of the book left one "problem" completely unresolved, clearly opening a path to a sequel. However, the most serious shortcoming, from my point of view, is that, by the end, all the main characters turn out to be criminals or accessories. The moral empathy I felt for the protagonist was demolished, and the book became a "Who cares?" for me.

I had a similar problem. Loved the first part -- which was a how-to like Thomas Perry -- but got confused by the second half an frustrated by the open ending (why Florencia embezzled the money). May be the start of a second novel.

Read 9/13 ( )
  walkerff | Sep 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Whether this is the start of a new series for Chris Knopf or a one-off, Dead Anyway is a fast-paced and entertaining hunt for a killer. When marketing researcher and investigator Arthur Cathcart witnesses the brutal death of his adored wife, Florencia, while surviving the same intended fate himself, he is determined to discover why his wife was targeted by hit men and who hired them. Spending months in a coma after the attack provides Arthur with the perfect cover: he convinces his sister, a neurologist, to have him declared dead. Although he still suffers some physical and mental impairment, his former profession gives him the knowledge and skills to adopt and discard identities as needed as well as hack into computer systems to gain information. Along the way he finds romance and acquires some strange companions in his hunt for his wife’s killer. ( )
  jmyers24 | Jan 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to agree with some of the other reviewers...it's just got that WTF way about it. I can't say I didn't like it (cuz I did) but some of it was just so outa league with normalcy. To be suffering from a head injury to the point the book wants us to believe and then to turn around and take us down the complete opposite road is just well...it's not good writing. It made me feel like the author thought I was the brain damaged one who couldn't see through the veil that was placed over my eyes. Kinda insulting. i know 1st hand what it's like to recoup from a brain injury (for me it was surgery tumor removed) and let me tell you...it ain't fun and games and quick thinking. Okay so but heres the thing i DID LIKE the book. I just wish the author had done a bit more research and made it more realastic OR turned into he got superpowers or something after the shooting. yah know..shrugs..i dunno
  justablondemoment | Nov 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A scary premise; Arthur and his wife are shot in their home and left for dead. Arthur recovers, but with some help stays dead on paper so that he can bring the killer to justice. I agree with some reviewers who found some of his tactics far-fetched, so I vacillated between trying to suspend my disbelief and just shaking my head.

Odd ending, felt too neat.
  GirlMisanthrope | Oct 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Arthur Cathcart's mostly uneventful life is changed forever when he returns from a walk to the post office one day to find his wife home early from work. Sitting across from her in their living room is a man with a gun. He asks only that Arthur's wife fill in five blanks on a piece of paper that only she is allowed to view. When she hesitates, the intruder shoots Arthur in the thigh as motivation to do as he wishes. She fills in the blanks and both Cathcarts are shot in the head and left for dead. Arthur, however, miraculously survives his wounds but decides to keep that information secret and stay "dead" in order to try and track down his wife's killer and bring him to justice.

Dead Anyway keeps a good pace and has some great twists. It appears that this is perhaps the first in a series as all of the mysteries are not wrapped up in this book. I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys suspense/mystery/thrillers. ( )
  wcath | Sep 30, 2012 |

Arthur Cathcart, a market researcher and occasional finder of missing persons, suddenly finds that the world thinks he is dead.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible