Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf

Dead Anyway

by Chris Knopf

From Goodreads:
Imagine this: You have a nice life. You love your beautiful, successful wife. You're an easygoing guy working out of your comfortable Connecticut home. The world is an interesting, pleasant place.

Then in seconds it's all gone. You're still alive, but the world thinks you're dead. And now you have to decide. Make it official, or go after the evil that took it all away from you.

Arthur Cathcart, market researcher and occasional finder of missing persons, decides to live on a fight, by doing what he knows best - figuring things out, without revealing his status as a living breathing human being. Much easier said than done in a post- 9/11 world, where everything about yourself and all the tools you need to live a modern life are an open book. How do you become a different person, how do you finance an elaborate scheme without revealing yourself? How do you force a reckoning with the worst people on earth, as a dead man?

My Thoughts:
I liked this book quite well, it was quick to get rolling and dive into the action. I enjoyed the characters well enough, the ones you got to know anyway. I also like that you start to like people you probably shouldn't, that is always fun for me. I will probably continue with the series at some point, but don't feel the need to rush right in. ( )
  Jen_Bartels | May 31, 2016 |
In DEAD ANYWAY by Chris Knopf (©2012), Arthur has a great life, until he nearly loses it. Dragging himself back to the living, he sets out to find who is responsible. Although we know, generally, what he’s up to, it’s fascinating how he goes about trying to identify the culprits. I suppose if I’d stopped reading and thought about it, I might have deduced more of his plan; but I couldn’t stop reading. Arthur’s way of narrowing the probabilities to figure out what to do next is very engaging. He has a tidily precise mind, which is devious and obsessive. We zip through the details of his plan like we’re hanging on at the back of a speedboat.

And the sometimes-likeable supporting characters are icing on the cake.

Hope you enjoy DEAD ANYWAY as much as I did. ( )
  TdeV | Aug 1, 2015 |
Excellent reader, superb story, although one key bit of motivation was missing & this leaves a cliff hanger. Why did Florencia steal from her own company? This does give the author room to expand to another book, but this was originally written in 2005 & he has written other books & at least one series since then, so I guess this is a dead end. I'm tempted to take away a star for that. Oh well, it wasn't that bad & expanded a major player, even if she did die early on. She'd been a bit of a caricature until this revelation. This rounded her out well.

I liked the hero a lot. As a heroic figure, Arthur truly is although he's no he-man. His atypical body type & physical issues really make the suspense & trials pop. He's exactly the sort of man that would be a force to reckon with today. He's an obsessive computer geek with a wide range of knowledge & interests. His job as a market researcher was unexpected & a perfect fit.

Even better, most of the computer stuff was very well done. There were a few things I didn't care for, but I doubt most would notice them. This is what I do for a living, though. I have to say he did far better than most & some could have been done simply because it would fit the average reader's knowledge better or saved him from getting into a confusing mess. At least he kept his logic consistent, even if a few basic things were wrong.

I loved the way all the characters were drawn. Quite an interesting assortment with a mystery & thrilling search. Well worth reading.

jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Amazon review:
Dead Anyway was a gripping mystery, but ultimately disappointing to this reader. The plot is intriguing and launches quickly. Arthur Cathcart arrives home to find his wife Florencia held at gunpoint. The assailant forces her to fill in a mysterious set of five written questions, then shoots them both in the head. Florencia dies, but Arthur survives, albeit with some brain damage. Early in his recovery, stricken by grief, and unable to imagine continuing his former life without his wife, he decides to fake his own death, and avenge his wife's murder. Arthur uses a combination of real-world and internet sleuthing to pursue the culprit. He is assisted by a reporter, an ex-cop, and most notably by his sister and a Casino worker, with whom he (predictably) falls in love. The events are generally plausible, but late in the book, there are a couple of twists that seem more like artifice than reality. The end of the book left one "problem" completely unresolved, clearly opening a path to a sequel. However, the most serious shortcoming, from my point of view, is that, by the end, all the main characters turn out to be criminals or accessories. The moral empathy I felt for the protagonist was demolished, and the book became a "Who cares?" for me.

I had a similar problem. Loved the first part -- which was a how-to like Thomas Perry -- but got confused by the second half an frustrated by the open ending (why Florencia embezzled the money). May be the start of a second novel.

Read 9/13 ( )
  walkerff | Sep 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Whether this is the start of a new series for Chris Knopf or a one-off, Dead Anyway is a fast-paced and entertaining hunt for a killer. When marketing researcher and investigator Arthur Cathcart witnesses the brutal death of his adored wife, Florencia, while surviving the same intended fate himself, he is determined to discover why his wife was targeted by hit men and who hired them. Spending months in a coma after the attack provides Arthur with the perfect cover: he convinces his sister, a neurologist, to have him declared dead. Although he still suffers some physical and mental impairment, his former profession gives him the knowledge and skills to adopt and discard identities as needed as well as hack into computer systems to gain information. Along the way he finds romance and acquires some strange companions in his hunt for his wife’s killer. ( )
  jmyers24 | Jan 12, 2013 |

Arthur Cathcart, a market researcher and occasional finder of missing persons, suddenly finds that the world thinks he is dead.

6 wanted1 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,618,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible