Strip Jack (1992)

by Ian Rankin

Series: Inspector Rebus (4)

Gregor Jack, M.P.: well-liked, young, married to the fiery Elizabeth - to the outside world a very public sucess story. But Jack's carefully nurtured career plans take a tumble after a 'mistake' during a police raid on a notorious Edinburgh brothel. Then Elizabeth disappears, a couple of bodies float into view where they shouldn't, and a lunatic speaks from his asylum. With his wife missing, his job on the line, and his sanity in doubt, Gregor Jack is ripe for revenge.… (more)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
I'm slowly making my way through all the Rebus books and this was the best yet. Rankin turns into the sort of writer that makes you despair of your own authorial hopes in this story. Told almost exclusively from Rebus' point of view, the whole thing drips with his character and it really feels like being inside the man's head. Rankin's written a lot more since this, of course, and I'm left wondering how much better he can get. ( )
  ElegantMechanic | May 28, 2022 |
Another blinder from Rankin. The mystery is good, but Rebus as a character is even better. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
These stories are a bit pedantic, yet I really like Detective Rebus! Not much else to say. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 15, 2022 |
This was a strange one for me. While it was not a bad story (really, it wasn't), it just didn't seem to engage me. And the most frustrating part is that I can't put my finger on why.

I did seem to notice there was a seemingly heavier accent on the local patois, but noticing that may also be because I ended up reading this novel at a snail's pace.

To me, this particular installment of Rebus went down like a meal from McDonalds. Not the greatest, but not horrible. Tasty in spots, but overall, mostly bland. And once it's done, it really doesn't leave anything behind but a faint longing that it was something better and more substantial. Then it's forgotten.

Is it just me, or is there really no progress when it comes to Rebus's personal life? Maybe that's what Rankin was going for, but four books in, it's becoming an annoyance. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Last book (Tooth and Nail) Rebus was in London.
This book he is back in Edinburgh.
He describes Rebus as a book collector and reader.
"Rebus collected books. Well that was putting it strongly. He bought books. Bought more of them than he had time to read, attracted by this cover or that title or the fact that he'd heard good things about the author. p16.
I had to refer to the dictionary a few times to interpret the Scottish slang in the text.
Nice, quick easy read for distraction. Bit messy at the end. ( )
  GeoffSC | Jul 25, 2020 |

Rodchester, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, Osmosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlootz, EllenÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sinissaar, KirstiToimetaja.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows
everything. That points clearly to a political career.
(Shaw, Major Barbara)

The habit of friendship is matured by constant intercourse.
(Libianus, 4th century AD, quoted in Edinburgh, by Charles McKean)
To the only Jack I've ever stripped
The wonder of it was that the neighbours hadn't complained, hadn't even - as many of them later told the newsmen - realized.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,112,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible