The Voyage Out (1915)

by Virginia Woolf

2,485355,046 (3.69)1 / 193
In The Voyage Out, one of Woolf's wittiest, socially satirical novels, Rachel Vinrace embarks for South America on her father's ship, and is launched on a course of self-discovery in a modern version of the mythic voyage. Lorna Sage's Introduction and Explanatory Notes offer guidance to thereader new to Woolf, and illuminate Woolf's presence, not identifiable in the heroine, but in the social satire, lyricism and patterning of consciousness in one woman's rite of passage.… (more)

English (31)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
The first novel that Virginia Woof wrote. While it's not the best novel, it shouldn't be ignored. If you like her other works, than I recommended reading this gem. You can see her mind working and see how she improved later on in her life. It's been awhile since I read this book, so keeping this review brief. This style is standard writing compared to Woolf's other books, so might be a good start for people who want to read her novels. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
Having vowed not to read Woolf again after an aborted attempt at To The Lighthouse in college, I now find myself decades later again engaging with her. I must say I quite enjoyed her this time round. The thrust of the story is Rachel's belated education and growing into adulthood of her 'Voyage Out', which also comprises her trip to South America among a cast of upper class English characters. Although the story concerns her, she is one among a number to receive attention- her aunt Helen and suitor Hewet and his friend Hirst all take up plenty of the narrative. Woolf doesn't make it easy for the reader, giving little biographical detail or description initially but rather using dialogue. Many of the women seemed indistinguishable from another and it would take a further reading to get a rounded picture of them. I'd hazard that I'd rate the book higher on further 'study' and paying full attention to the notes. Nevertheless, it's rid me of my antipathy to Woolf. Overall the social manners reminded me of Austen but it also works as a novel of ideas- education and the roles of women. I enjoyed the introspective passages and hope to read the interior monologues in her other works. Last of all, I hadn't expected the humour in her witty descriptions which had me chortling at intervals ( )
  Kevinred | Mar 4, 2022 |
This has to be the dullest book I've ever listened to. The narrator does a very good job, and I admire her perseverance. If I hadn't agreed to prooflisten (for a librivox recording), I'd have stopped after a few chapters. However, I stood by my promise, and hence listened to the whole thing.

Flat, interchangeable characters, and what with the constant switching between Christian names and surnames, I'm still having trouble to know who is who -- no character stands out, and I don't care about a single one of them! There's no plot, nothing happens -- just a get together of completely uninteresting people in an exotic environment. There's no rhyme nor reason to the book that I can discern. If I look at all the four and five star reviews, I guess I completely miss the point of this book -- then again, I found an excerpt of an original review in the New York Times (in 1920), who felt exactly the way I feel about this book, so at least I know now that I'm not alone in my dislike of this book. What a waste of time! ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
woolf doing realism but it’s woolf so it’s unreal
  CLARPUS | Feb 25, 2021 |
Los temas clave de la novelistica de Virginia Woolf - la discordancia entre el tiempo newtoniano y el tiempo subjetivo, la fluencia temporal disgregante de la personalidad y, como contrapartida, la realidad de la experiencia concreta, el problema de conciliar un sentido pleno de la individualidad con la necesidad de comunicación con "los otros" - hallan en Fin de Viaje su ajuste expresivo más perfecto. La gran autora de La señora Dalloway y Al Faro, considerada por algunos críticos como el novelista de lengua inglesa más notable del siglo - para Aranguren, ni Joyce, ni Paund ni Eliot ni D. H. Lawrence "alcanzaron la finura poética y de observación, la delicadeza de intuiciones y sentimientos la perfección y la pureza caligrafica de Virginia Woolf" -, inició en 1915, con Fin de Viaje, una obra que cuenta entre las más sutiles indagaciones espirituales de la literatura inglesa.
  ArchivoPietro | Nov 3, 2020 |
The voyage out is een roman als een schip, traag en majestueus golft ze van de bladzijden. Virginia Woolfs eerste is een weldaad. Nu die roman uit 1915 eindelijk als De uitreis in vertaling is verschenen, kunnen we kort zijn over de reden waarom het zo lang duurde: stekeblinde beroepslezers ter plaatse. The New York Times kon het ook niet bekoren. In 1920 poogt de krant de vuistdikke roman samen te vatten in vier zinnen en begint daartoe als volgt: ‘Ridley Ambrose, a professor, and his wife, Helen, a woman of the smart London world, are going to the antipodes on a vessel owned by Helen’s brother-in-law, Willoughby Vinrace.’ Een zin die je een beetje doet grinniken als je het boek net hebt uitgelezen.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Hannah van Wieringen (pay site) (Jun 22, 2018)

So the story maunders on, and the fact that it is crowded with incident, most of it futile, and that the clever talk by every one continues in a confusing cataract in every chapter, does not save it from becoming extremely tedious.
added by Nickelini | editNew York Times (Jun 18, 1920)

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reichert, KlausHerausgebersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sage, LornaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheare, JaneEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To L. W.
As the streets that lead from the Strand to the Embankment are very narrow, it is better not to walk down them arm-in-arm.
In the streets of London where beauty goes unregarded, eccentricity must pay the penalty.
She looked forward to seeing them as civilised people generally look forward to the first sight of civilised people, as though they were of the nature of an approaching physical discomfort—a tight shoe or a draughty window.
"I have a weakness for people who can't begin."
Each of the ladies, being after the fashion of their sex, highly trained in promoting men's talk without listening to it, could think—about the education of children, about the use of fog sirens in an opera—without betraying herself.
[...], for if Rachel were ever to think, feel, laugh, or express herself, instead of dropping milk from a height as though to see what kind of drops it made, she might be interesting though never exactly pretty.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,608,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible