Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs

Frost Burned

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (7), World of the Marrok (17)

I really enjoyed this book. Mercy's grown up, mellowed in some ways, grown fiercer in others, but most importantly she's settled into who and what she is. It was a delight seeing her interact with Adam, Jesse, the pack, and so many of her friends. It was particularly enjoyable to see her taking good and accurate stock of her abilities and using them based on that assessment.

As for the romance, she and Adam are married now, and while they aren't yet old-marrieds, they're building toward the sort of relationship that's my favorite kind to read about. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Frost Burned
4 Stars

Series Note: Should be read after Fair Game in the Alpha & Omega Spin-Off series as events there play a role here.

Mercy Thompson is an enjoyable series overall but it is far from being my favorite (see my reviews for the previous books for my issues with it), which is probably why this installment did not irk me as much as it did other readers who are more invested.

The basic plot premise involving the disappearance of Adam and his pack is compelling and the beginning is mysterious and exciting. Nevertheless, this storyline ultimately fizzles and the book goes in a completely convoluted direction with a resolution that is out of left field how did we get from fundamentalist fanatics to a megalomaniac vampire?

That said, there are several entertaining elements such as the appearance of virtually every secondary character in the series thus far and the introduction of one or two new ones - it feels like a reunion of sorts and it is fun seeing Ben, Kyle, Warren, Stefan and Gabriel after their absence in River Marked.

The chapters told from Adam's POV are another highlight as they provide insight and nuance to his character and his relationship with Mercy. Their flirty banter is wonderful although the "fade to black" scenes are disappointing.

In sum, although the plot has its weaknesses and it still suffers from elements that annoy me, Frost Burned is a solid read and I'm looking forward to Mercy's showdown with Adam's ex in the next book (I really hope we get one). ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Spoilers ahead...........

.........

......

...

Finished, I really liked this one even though I felt kind of blindsided by the vampire connection at the end, it made for an interesting twist. After the events at the end of Fair Game I was totally into the human organization and the senator and I followed that false lead hook, line, and sinker which is unusual for me....so it made for a satisfying surprise. I still loved Assil throughout and hope that his improved condition will led to more stories for him and he really needs a story of his very own.

My only real complaint is that I missed Adam....but I always think there should be more Adam, so that isn't unusual...and although I want that, I am really happy that even after their marriage it hasn't become the Adam book series. or even the Adam and Mercy series, but still focuses on its female lead, which is sometimes a very hard thing for a series to maintain after they establish a set "couple" and although I missed Adam, I was thrilled that the main heroine wasn't getting shuffled backstage or sidestage just because she got married. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
This was another great installment in an excellent series. I have been working my way through an audio re-read of this amazing series over the course of this year. It surprises me how much I am enjoying this series during my re-read. This book isn't one of my favorites in the series but it was really good. I wanted to listen to this book for hours at a time because I wanted to stay with Mercy and the gang and make sure that everything would work out for them.

This book opens with Mercy and Jesse doing some black Friday shopping. Mercy gets into a small traffic accident while they were out which really shouldn't have been a big deal. They realize that there is a problem when they can't reach Adam or any other member of the pack when they call for a ride home. The entire pack has been abducted.

Mercy is such a strong character and great leader. She takes her role as Adam's mate seriously and works to keep everyone she safe. There is quite a bit of excitement as she works to protect the few connected to the pack that were not taken. She is able communicate with Adam through her mate bond so she isn't completely unaware of things that are happening.

I really enjoyed spending time with some of my favorite characters. Mercy was incredibly brave and smart in this story. She is willing to sacrifice her own safety to keep others safe when needed. Adam was fierce at times but such a great leader and protector. I do wish that Mercy and Adam hadn't been separated so much during this story. I really enjoyed the focus on Ben, Tad, and Asil in this book since they are characters that we don't always see a lot of.

Once again Lorelei King does a fantastic job with the narration. There were a few sections of this book that were told from Adam's point of view and I thought she did a great job with those. She really does bring Mercy to life. There is so much emotion that really comes through in her narration. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite narrators and I look forward to listening to more of her work soon.

I would highly recommend this series to others. This is my second time experiencing this book but it will not be my last. It is simply wonderful to find a series of books that you know you will enjoy no matter how many times you read them. I can't wait to listen to the next book very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 28, 2017 |
Is the correct term for the abduction of shapeshifters werenapping?

Our favourite coyote is back, the rest of her pack less so. Some mad fool has decided to abduct Adam and the rest of the Tri-Cities werewolves. They also come after Mercy and all of her friends. That's one way to invite yourself to be dinner I suppose.

Halfway through the novel I was reminded why I've been enjoying the Mercy Thompson series so much. Patricia Briggs sets a plot in motion but doesn't follow the standard path you would expect. Without spoiling things, we get more plot and a different endpoint than you were initially expecting. Most authors would set that initial plot in motion and try to make the ride enjoyable. Briggs makes the ride to the shops enjoyable but also changes the destination for somewhere with ocean views. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mike, who brings color to my world
“You should have brought the van,” said my stepdaughter.

Shapeshifter Mercy Thompson's life is calming down, at least enough that she can focus on mundane matters like Black Friday sales. But on her return, Mercy is unable to contact her mate, Alpha Adam Hauptman, or the other members of their pack. All she knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam's disappearance may be related - and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from the most unlikely of allies: the vampire seethe.

The werewolf pack and Mercy Thompson's mate Adam have been abducted. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible