When the Siren Calls by Tom Barry

When the Siren Calls

by Tom Barry

When the Siren Calls, set in Tuscany, is an adult contemporary romance and business thriller. It is the story of two people, Isobel and Jay, and their passionate and cathartic affair. She is a restless and neglected woman - a modern day Lady Chatterley - struggling to live a life true to herself, not the one her workaholic husband and fickle friends expect. The enigmatic Jay is a gifted but flawed maverick, a powerful and controlling lothario locked in his own fight for survival.When Jay invites Isobel to his idyllic Tuscan retreat she imagines a life of excitement outside her stagnant marriage. But all is not as it seems and Isobel finds herself trapped in a web of deception and betrayal. Hopelessly bound under Jay's spell, Isobel must discover if her lover is her saviour, or her nemesis.… (more)

I received When the Siren Calls as a Goodreads Giveaway book, and I was curious about this romance novel, as it was written by a male author, in contrast to all the female romance novelists whose works I’d read. What I discovered was that Tom Barry, the author of this novel, presents an intriguing and entertaining story about an unhappily married woman, Isobel, who becomes involved in a love triangle in which she walks a fine line between her marriage to a management entrepreneur, Peter, and her charismatic, virulent lover, Jay. The story takes place at a lovely villa resort in Tuscany, as well as London, which are perfect settings for romance.
I loved the element of duplicity in this novel, and I really hadn’t sorted out the intrigue until it was resolved at the end. Although I thought that the author portrayed the characters rather well, at times I felt that he relied on the reader to infer what was occurring, rather than being more specific. When I had to reread portions of the text to clearly realize the plot, I felt that those instances detracted from the flow of the story and my resulting interest. For that reason, I gave the story 3 stars, rather than 4, but it was an enjoyable novel, nonetheless. ( )
  haymaai | May 4, 2015 |
The push/pull effect of this book is felt through out it. Female lead feels neglected and seek comfort wherever she can get it. For her, it's like falling down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. The book is an interesting read. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Mar 3, 2014 |
When the Siren Calls is about lonely and neglected wife that starts an affair with a married man. Personally the erotic portions of this book fell flat and forced driven by the male perspective. While the male perspective is important in erotic situations doesn't make me want to find my own version of release with my hubby afterwards. All the female characters were whiny, bitchy, and dull with no sense of depth. All the male characters were of the entitlement attitude, cocky, and brutish. Maybe someone else will enjoy this story as for me I found it lacking on many levels. ( )
  WolfFaerie17 | Mar 3, 2014 |
This was an early review book I received. I had a love hate relationship with the story, as it had good parts and bad. I think the story line was a little complicated and hard to follow at times, and I think it could have benefited from more character development. I'm not sure if I would really read a sequel or not. ( )
  ashschreck | Feb 8, 2014 |
I am late on reviewing this book. I received it as an early release book or a member giveaway, I cannot remember. It was hard to get into the book, but at times it was hard to put the book down. It was well written I believe, but I have mixed feelings about the book. I felt like there was too much going on in the story and hard to keep up with at times. Perhaps it could have been a better read with more details to really get to know the characters and for plot description. I would like to read the sequel for clarity as well as to see what happens. In short, it took me a while to read and I have mixed feelings about this book. ( )
  ksiminski | Nov 18, 2013 |
To my patient wife, Maysoon, for indulging my obsession over several revisions, despite claiming to have loved the first draft.
Grasping hands tore at Isobel's clothing and scraped her skin as she forced her way forward.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tom Barry's book When the Siren Calls was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,754,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible