The Andromeda Strain (1969)

by Michael Crichton

Series: The Andromeda Strain (1)

The United States government is given a warning by the pre-eminent biophysicists in the country: current sterilization procedures applied to returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee uncontaminated re-entry to the atmosphere. Two years later, seventeen satellites are sent into the outer fringes of space to "collect organisms and dust for study." One of them falls to earth, landing in a desolate area of Arizona. Twelve miles from the landing site, in the town of Piedmont, a shocking discovery is made: the streets are littered with the dead bodies of the town's inhabitants, as if they dropped dead in their tracks.… (more)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Desmorph)
    Desmorph: The slippery slope of technology and the evolution of mankind provide a colorful backdrop for this futuristic tale.
    Invasive by Chuck Wendig (ShelfMonkey)
    Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (TomWaitsTables)

English (128)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  German (1)  All languages (135)
Did I enjoy it? Yes Did It merit 4 stars? NO but I would give it 3 and a half. Like Asimov's Foundation it is horribly dated. This is a product of the 60s. And it showed. One hopes that Crichton 's novels get better. ( )
  graeme.bell3 | Jun 12, 2022 |
Some are led to believe this is a typical work of fiction; I warn you, it is not. From the get go, The Andromeda Strain reads like a commission report that goes into great depths of what happens in the five days in which the story takes place. Many other reviews have noted that Michael Crichton had a plot going steadily and then somehow lost it. He didn't. What they failed to understand that the book wasn't meant to be taken in like a work a fiction; it was meant to be read as a "factual" account of "factual" events. Plain and simple.
(read more) ( )
1 vote ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Addictive as crack . Burned through the book in a few hours and after the initial sluggish begining, the entire climax and etc was pretty heart racing stuff. Good stuff. ( )
  snaha1993 | Nov 5, 2021 |
I believe the first time I read this was very likely not horribly long after it was released. May have been around 73 or 74. I remembered very little of the story, beyond the initial destruction of a small town, one character's reaction to blinking lights, and the Wildfire facility.

Having re-read this, I think Crichton was a touch more enamoured with the facility and the science around it, than the actual Andromeda Strain itself, still, he chose a very unique narrative voice to tell this story, and I have to say, I actually enjoyed the hell out of it.

Yes, it's dated, but one of Crichton's smartest decisions was to set it in present (for the time) day 1969, so the tech actually holds up very well.

All in all, a fun ride to revisit half a century (!) later. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
I have a distant memory of this book on my parents bookshelf when I was a young 'un. Even though I hadn't graduated to reading proper books at the time I was captivated by the cover. At some point the book disappeared and it didn't cross my mind again until I saw the 1971 movie on the TV late on night about 20 years ago. I saw a copy of it while doing one of my regular charity shop sweeps and I just had to buy it and see what the book was like.

The book is laid out as a factual recollection at a hearing of events that occur due to the crash landing of a satellite. Along with the details of what happened we discover the mistakes and discoveries made by the team of scientists sent to solve the disease which has killed many people. This all comes together to make an interesting book which is based on more than just ratcheting up the tension.

There is a lot of scientific detail and its clear that there was a lot of research that went into the book before it was written. There is also a quite interesting aspect looking into artificial intelligence and what happens when machines we rely on fail and it goes un-noticed. Although the plot may look a bit far fetched to readers today I imagine that in the 60's when it was published these were real fears that many people had.

The book is well written and well paced so I found myself picking it up to read whenever I had a spare 5 minutes. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 24, 2021 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Noth, ChrisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The survival value of human intelligence has never been satisfactorily demonstrated. — Jeremy Stone
Increasing vision is increasingly expensive. — R.A. Janek
THIS FILE IS CLASSIFIED TOP SECRET
Examination by unauthorized persons is a criminal offense punishable by fines and imprisonment up to 20 years and $20,000.
DO NOT ACCEPT FROM COURIER IF SEAL IS BROKEN
The courier is required by law to demand your card 7592. He is not permitted to relinquish this file without such proof of identity.
for A.C.D., M.D., who first proposed the problem
A man with binoculars.
"All yours, Gunner." Wilson did not answer. He dropped his nose, cracked down his flaps, and felt a shudder as the plane sank sickeningly, like a stone, toward the ground. Below him, the area around the town was lighted for hundreds of yards in every direction. He pressed the camera buttons and felt, rather than heard, the vibrating whir of the cameras. For a long moment he continued to fall, and then he shoved the stick forward, and the plane seemed to catch in the air, to grasp, and lift and climb. He had a fleeting glimpse of the main street. He saw bodies, bodies everywhere, spreadeagled, lying in the streets, across cars ... "Jesus," he said. And then he was up, still climbing, bringing the plane around in a slow arc, preparing for the descent into his second run and trying not to think of what he and seen. One of the first rules of air reconnaisssance was "Ignore the scenery"; analysis and evaluation were not the job of the pilot. That was left to the experts, and pilots who forgot this, who became too interested in what they were photgraphing, got into trouble. Usually they crashed.
This is the book The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. Please do not combine with any of the film adaptations.

Space germ kills humans.
Gather team of researchers!
We only sent four?
(benscripps)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,591,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible