Ozma of Oz (1907)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Baum (3), Oz : Famous Forty (book 3), Oz (3)

When a storm blows Dorothy to the land of Ev where lunches grow on trees, she meets the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, the Cowardly Lion, and Princess Ozma, and together they set out to free the Queen of Ev and her ten children.

L. Frank Baum is an author I have read many times since I first discovered him in second grade. I find that his books stand up to the test of time and they are books that I enjoy re-reading. Some of them are stronger than others but as a whole I quite enjoy both the stories and characters. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I'm actually quite enjoying the Oz books.
And I'm discovering that the details in the numerous film and tv adaptations I've seen, are a lot more accurate than I expected.
(In this case particularly, an adaptation by Syfy (I think it was called 'the Witches of Oz' or something similar, where the witches had detachable heads. I thought it was far-fetched, turns out it's from this book in the series. Granted, it's not a witch, but Princess Langwidere who has the replacable heads, but still...) ( )
  HeyMimi | Jan 1, 2021 |
I like the fact that L. Frank Baum wrote this book to appeal to all of his young fans who wanted to know what happened to Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion after book two in the series.

For those who have not read books 1 and 2, please note that some details below will contain spoilers about those books.

I only gave this book 4 stars though, mainly because the character of Dorothy just bugged me throughout. Also this book dragged a lot, unlike with book one and two I had a hard time just reading this one straight through. This is still a really good fairy tale though some of the subject matter I thought was probably a bit too old for most kids to be reading about.

The story begins with Dorothy and her Uncle Henry on a trip to Australia to visit some of their relatives there. I had so many thoughts here at this point.

One, why in the world did Aunt Em not get to come along. I know that it was said that Aunt Em stayed behind to run the farm, but Kansas and Australia in the 1900s was a very long sea voyage apart. So it was bewildering that Uncle Henry set off on such a journey without his wife.

Two, how old is Dorothy? We get the idea that time has passed since book one, but I still don't think that Baum has ever said her age. She's always referred to as a little girl. She definitely speaks like one.

We eventually get to Dorothy being blown overboard and she meets Billina the Hen. I actually thought that Dorothy had some nerve changing Billina's name from Bill to Billina because "Bill is a boy's name." Reading further along and seeing how Billina didn't suffer fools, I am surprised she didn't tell Dorothy to get over it.

How dreadful! exclaimed Dorothy, in a shocked voice.
What is dreadful? asked the hen, lifting her head to gaze with one bright eye at her companion.
Why, eating live things, and horrid bugs, and crawly ants. You ought to be 'SHAMED of yourself!

I do love how Billina calls out Dorothy for her hypocrisy since humans eat things that were one alive and eat animals that do eat bugs. I would have also asked her so you live on a farm right? You have never seen hens and roosters eating bugs? Did you think we survived on sunshine and air?

Dorothy comes across trees that contain lunch and dinner pails and seriously I want to find those trees and plant some of them in my backyard.

We then have Dorothy and Billina meeting the strange people called the Wheelers and coming across Tiktok the Machine Man. I think it is kind of cool that L. Frank Baum pretty much describes a robot. Remember that this book was written in 1907.

Eventually the threesome depart and come across the niece of the late King of Ev who sold his family to the Nome King. The niece is the Princess of Langwidere who has 30 heads....I don't know why but the whole thing with the Princess of Langwidere creeped me out.

Dorothy and her friends after being locked out are eventually rescued by the Princess of Ozma and her group and that is when the action at least starts to pick up.

Every time I try to picture the Princess of Oz I can't stop laughing though.

Probably because in book two we find out that the Wizard of Oz hid the Princess of Oz and gave her to Mombi who changed her into a boy named Tip.

We do get a lot of scenes with the Scarecrow acting even less intelligent than usual and the Cowardly Lion has picked up a friend called the Hungry Tiger whose constantly lamenting about how nothing can fill him up got tiresome after the first dozen times.

We do find out that Ozma of Oz came to the Kingdom of Ev to free the former queen and princes and princesses from the Nome King after they were sold to the Nome King. At this point I was 45 percent in the book and was surprised that it took this long for Baum to actually get to the bare bones of the book.

The interaction that the group had with the Nome King was interesting and that was probably the only time in the whole book that I thought the action really picked up and everything flowed together much more smoothly than in the other sections. I think that Baum was playing this book more for laughs than anything else since we had everyone at one time or another showing how not intelligent they were. After the first few times it was funny, after that I was groaning out loud and mumbling get on with it.

We eventually get to our happily ever after but we have to have the whole group travel back to the Emerald City where Dorothy gets to meet old and new friends alike.

There is one passage in the book that explains what happened to the character Jinjur who was a major character in book two. This whole passage made me cringe inwardly. I know that Baum was probably going for laughs, but I didn't chuckle at all. I felt like Baum was one making fun of women who could possibly want more than just being married to define them. And I thought him turning Jinjur into a husband beater was just bad form. I liked that Jinjur and her Army actually went and took down the Kingdom of Oz. I wasn't thrilled that their main reason to do so was so that they could get jewels for bracelets and to sell for gowns though.

I've married a man who owns nine cows, said Jinjur to Ozma and now I am happy and contented and willing to lead a quiet life and mind my own business.

Yep, cause when we women get married that's it. We are therefore happy and have no ambitions at all.

Where is your husband? asked Ozma.
He is in the house nursing a black eye, replied Jinjur calmly.
The foolish man would insist upon milking the red cow when I wanted him to milk the white one; but he will know better next time, I am sure.

The book ends and since readers already know that there are 14 Oz books, you know that Dorothy and crew have many adventures awaiting them in Oz. ( )
1 vote ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
The Oz books were among my childhood bookish obsessions. Such a magical, exciting universe. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baum, Robert A.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benedict III, Steven JCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glassman, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neill, John R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the boys and girls who read my stories-and especially to the Dorothy's-this book is lovingly dedicated.
The wind blew hard and joggled the water of the ocean, sending ripples across its surface.
The Princess looked at her more closely. 'Tell me," she resumed, "are you of royal blood?'

'Better than that, ma'am," said Dorothy, "I come from Kansas.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,382,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible