Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas

Worth Any Price

by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added bymarolyn, BookHavenAZ, SulliA, wm3395, CrystalDawn1217, phyllis2779, msdana, private library

English (15)  Czech (1)  All languages (16)
Bow Street Runners
4 Stars

Hired by a jilted suitor to locate his runaway bride, Nick Gentry is surprised to discover that Charlotte Howard has good reason to escape her obsessive husband-to-be. He is just as surprised by his own attraction to the courageous Lottie and makes the impulsive decision to provide her with protection by marrying her himself.

Nick and Charlotte are an engaging couple. She is spirited and intelligent with an iron will as demonstrated by the fact that she not only decides to escape her arranged marriage at a time when such things were widely accepted, but also succeeds in eluding Lord Radnor for so long.

Nick is similar to other Kleypas heroes - sexy and powerful with a touch of the bad boy thrown in for good measure. His traumatic past and coping mechanisms only make him all the more endearing. He and Charlotte have intense chemistry and their romance is deeply sensual. Kleypas certainly knows how to write an steamy sex scene.

Unfortunately, the plot is where Worth Any Price encounters some difficulties. Aside from its predictability, the stalking suitor storyline is underdeveloped, the final confrontation is anti-climactic and the resolution is completely illogical since when does a psychotic and obsessive stalker kill himself rather than the object of his “affection”. Moreover, despite the build up of Lottie’s relationship with her parents, they are never forced to atone for their actions and the plot point is left dangling.

All in all, this is an entertaining conclusion to the Bow Street Runners series and the short appearance by my favorite Kleypas hero, Marcus Marsden, Earl of Westcliff, earns it an extra half star. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
I felt sorry for Sophia's brother, Nick/John, his life was a total nightmare. I'm looking forward to see how he will evolve and change in the 3rd book of the series "Worth Any Price", I think he will make an interesting character and a lover, he might be even like Derek Craven from "Dreaming of You". They kind of share the same background.

I'm reading the 3rd book of Bow Street Runners, and all through the story I see Nick portrayed by Richard Armitage!!! I find him so sexy; he would make a great Nick!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I loved Nick and Lottie!! She is the perfect light to his dark!! What a wonderful story!! One of my favorites in the genre! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
To my mother-in-law, Ireta Ellis,
for your love, generosity, and understanding,
and for making me happy whenever I’m with you.

Love from a most appreciative daughter-in-law,
L.K.
He was twenty-four, and it was the first time he had ever visited a brothel

Because he has heard of the man's highly regarded reputation and skill as a thief-taker that has made him wealthy, controlling Lord Radnor hires Nick Gentry to find his missing fiancee. The trail is difficult because Charlotte Howard vanished two years ago even though Radnor already bought her from her parents. She disappeared because she realized how dominating her future spouse is and what he would do to her.

Two months later Nick believes he has found Charlotte masquerading as a companion to an elderly woman. Through his connected in-law, Nick, disguised as a spoiled Lord Sydney, obtains an invitation to visit Lord Westcliff's estate where he believes Charlotte resides as Lottie Miller. However, once Nick meets Lottie, he finds he likes her very much and cannot just give her over to his odious client. Westcliff points out that her only way to avoid running and Radnor is to marry someone else, preferably him. However, Charlotte declines his kind offer, but agrees to marry Nick, who says he will protect her and her parents while she only has to sleep with him. As they become better acquainted they fall in love, but Radnor believes she is his possession and plans to gain ownership.

This historical romance will provide much pleasure to fans of the sub-genre due to the charming lead protagonists. The story line is at its strongest when this duo takes center stage. The villain is so sociopathic, he does not seem like a character. Nevertheless Lisa Kleypas purveys a story that caters to the tastes of the early Victorian readers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380811073, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: London, 1839
Sensuality: 9

Bow Street runner Nick Gentry is a complex man with a dark and tortured history, and beautiful Charlotte Howard is a woman running from her past. Neither Nick or Charlotte are wholly what they seem, for each have secrets too painful to reveal, and each has chosen to hide behind a false identity. Once they’re drawn into each other’s worlds, they’re forced to face difficult truths and are compelled to acknowledge the passion that burns between them. For Charlotte, "the challenge of taming him, matching his powerful will with her own, was too tempting to resist." For Nick, "if he could not have her, this endless feeling of being hungry, unsatisfied, cold, would never leave him." But will their love be enough to defeat the obsessed nobleman who covets Charlotte and the thirst for danger that tempts Nick, or is their future together doomed by the pain of their past?

New York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas has another winner on her hands with this follow-up to Lady Sophia’s Lover. Fans and new readers alike will love the fast-paced plot, compelling characters, high-octane sensuality, and the well-drawn English setting. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:01 -0400)

Fleeing an unwanted marriage to a despicable aristocrat, Charlotte flees her home to masquerade as a lady's companion among strangers, pursued by the seductive Nick Gentry, who offers her a shocking proposal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,257,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible