The Silver Wolf

by Alice Borchardt

A richly atmospheric historical fantasy about shapeshifters struggling to survive in the decadent city of Rome during the Dark Ages. Rome is mired in crumbling grandeur. Into the Eternal City comes Regeane, a young woman distantly related to Charlemagne, and as such an unwilling pawn in the struggle for political power. But unknown to all, she is a shapeshifter: woman and wolf. Betrothed to a barbarian lord she has never seen, she is surrounded by enemies. The most notorious, her depraved uncle and guardian, who will betray her to the Church unless she aids him in his sinister schemes. If the Church discovers her secret she will burn at the stake. Outside the gates of Rome there is a mysterious dark wolf who seems to offer Regeane a wildly seductive new life, yet as her marriage looms plots and deadly counterplots tighten like a noose around her neck. Fast-paced, sensual and rich with historical detail, The Silver Wolf will place Alice Borchardt squarely in the front rank of contemporary women writers. Her intricate plot and hypnotic voice will cast a spell few will be able to resist.… (more)
    Silver by Rhiannon Held (MyriadBooks)
    The Wolf Hunt by Gillian Bradshaw (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves in human environments; for historical settings.
    The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For wolves with teeth, for mated pairs. The Last Werewolf is gritter and more explicit than the dreamy, lyrical The Silver Wolf but the writing and the horror of both of them is top notch.
    First Truth by Dawn Cook (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: I think readers who enjoy the Silver Wolf may also enjoy the Truth series by Dawn Cook. They're a little different - the Silver Wolf has much darker undertones that the Truth books, and is set in a real historical contex whereas Truth is in a classical fantasy historical-based world - but they're both nicely written and involving stories. The Truth series might be enjoyable holiday reading for people who thought the Silver Wolf was great but weren't so keen on the more "horror" aspects of the later Wolf books.… (more)

Borchardt's storytelling is lush and detailed, and the writing and characters sucked me into this book immediately. Bringing together what felt like more contemporary treatments of fantasy with the Roman Empire was a masterful move that made for a compelling story, and I couldn't help but be fascinated. The one fault of the novel, perhaps, is that it tries to do so very much--ranging from more paranormal suspense to historical and political intrigue on to paranormal romance and historical fantasy. I think it's as a result of this ambition that some pieces of the book do lag, depending on the aspects of the story you're most engaged in. For me, the political intrigue took over the book at a certain point, and to its detriment--I wish the book had been a little bit less ambitious, actually, or that the story here had been spread over a few books in order to give all of the aspects adequate attention on an ongoing basis.

In the end, I didn't end up enjoying it nearly as much as I thought I would based on the first hundred pages or so, but I'm glad to have stumbled upon it. I'd certainly read more of Borchardt's work, as well, should the story catch my interest. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 28, 2020 |
This is a very different take on werewolves. It is sort of a historical piece...back to Rome and Greece. I think the author could have benefited from a better editor. ( )
  sweetfe | Jun 6, 2018 |
What can I say about this book without coming across as mean-spirited and sarcastic? Uhm. It had good bones. It could have been a good book with a good editor behind it.

This book wandered around like a blind man. The story looped back over its self to little purpose. While I don't expect a high level of historical accuracy in a fantasy novel, the inaccuracies and liberties in this book really irritated.

I don't understand how this book is rated so highly by goodreads readers. To receive the rating it did, a significant portion of readers where blown away and experienced this book as a life-altering event. I didn't finish the book and regret the purchase. ( )
  MsMaison | Dec 5, 2017 |
To be honest, I wasn't excited to read this book UNTIL; I read another review on goodreads... I LOVED this book. Alice Borchardt is simply, a great story teller. With this novel, she weaves the foundation of a mythology (that we start to learn along with the heroine of the novel) with the time of a falling/fallen Rome and the rise of a new empire to the North. I found myself wanting to read, yet slowing down to make it last longer...(sounds masochistic, but if you are an avid reader- you know what I'm talking about) I do think it's a shame she didn't write more, but she left a fantastic foundation that anyone would be proud to have their name upon. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
A romantic werewolf novel set in Roman times. It's not historically accurate - anachronisms abound, particularly in characters' attitudes and the way they behave. It's also written, it seems, with a screenplay in mind. I could almost feel like I was watching it on late night TV, right after Buffy or something. But, that said, I thought it was good fun & quite entertaining. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

To
my beloved husband
Clifford Borchardt

"See those fireflies dancing?
That's what I want to do:
dance in the moonlight, sing to the stars,
jump straight up at the moon."

I did with you.
The sun was going down.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,319,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible