The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

The Sneetches and Other Stories (1961)

by Dr. Seuss

The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss; (4*)

This is a classic Dr. Seuss book. While it is not as good as The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham & my personal favorite, Horton Hears a Who, it still is a fun read for children of any age. It reinforces to children the truths about discrimination and its effects.
  rainpebble | Jun 19, 2019 |
Poetry Fiction, Picture Book, Grades PK-5
This is a fun silly book for young readers and it contains 4 stories. There is rhyming and some made up words that help young readers develop fluency and other reading skills. The Sneetches addresses how people can be elitist and turn against each other for no good reason. I like the analogy that this story creates. ( )
  ebroph2 | Mar 7, 2019 |
I've been a huge fan of Dr. Seuss since I was a child, but until I read The Lorax for the first time a few years ago, I had never realized that he was an author with the heart of an activist. Much like The Lorax, The Sneetches and Other Stories tackles mature themes in a non-threatening, even humorous, way that kids can understand. All four stories in the book have the underlying message of tolerance, acceptance and compromise with those who are different from us or with whom we may not see eye to eye.

In The Sneetches, we have the story of how the Star-Belly Sneetches think they are better than the Plain-Belly Sneetches, and as a result, the Plain-Belly Sneetches are excluded from the Star-Belly Sneetches's activities. That is until Sylvester McMonkey McBean comes to town with his magical machine that adds or removes stars, creating utter chaos, and eventually rendering stars irrelevant. I really liked this story about how our differences don't really matter. The illustrations are cute, and I was especially moved by how incredibly sad the Plain-Belly Sneetches looked when they were being shut out.

In The Zax, we have two Zaxes who each have their own way of thinking and both absolutely refuse to alter their course. This leaves them at a stubborn impasse as the world goes on around them. I thought this was a great story about the importance of compromise.

Too Many Daves is about a mother who named all of her twenty-three sons Dave. I have to admit that I wasn't entirely certain of the meaning behind this one, but I think it was about how we are all the same and yet each one of us is also unique.

Last but not least, in What Was I Scared of? the cute, little, nameless protagonist is afraid of a pair of pants that walks around by itself, because it's so different than anything he's ever seen before. When he realizes that the pants are as scared of him as he is of them, the two are able to offer comfort to one another and become friends. I thought this was another great story about the importance of accepting those who are different from ourselves.

Overall, The Sneetches and Other Stories was an enjoyable book that managed to address some serious issues in a fun, easy to understand way. I highly recommend it for “kids” of all ages. ( )
1 vote mom2lnb | Nov 4, 2018 |
Some Sneetches have stars on their tummies and some don't. The ones with stars look down on those without and shun them. Things change when a man named the Fix-It-Up Chappie comes to town and has a machine to give stars to the starless (for a price, of course). This upsets the snooty Sneetches, who pay to have their stars removed. The Sneetches run back and forth removing and restoring their stars until none of them has money left. Though Chappie leaves rich, the Sneetches discover that they are equal and find peace.

Seuss intended this one to introduce racism to kids. It gently shows how those of different classes can look down on others, even those of the same race. The green stars stand out on their yellow bodies and the art is very busy and full of motion. The tone of the book is very serious but the message is clear. In the end, no one is different from the other. ( )
  kvedros | Mar 7, 2018 |
The sneetches are a group of creatures that believe certain sneetches are better than the others. There are sneetches with stars on their bellies that are considered "superior" to the ones that do not. From this, many complications arise, and the sneetches are divided. Mr. McBean comes along and has a plan for the sneetches without stars, and from this plan the sneetches learn that maybe they aren't so different from one another after all. I love how this book covers a very important topic that far surpasses the sneetches. Even in our world today we struggle with judging others because of their appearances. This book teaches young readers that we are all the same on the inside and it shouldn't matter what the outside looks like. Coming together and appreciating differences should be a common goal as humans, and we need to portray this message along to young children. ( )
  aquinn | Mar 6, 2018 |
Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches
Had bellies with stars.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800893, Hardcover)

"Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches / Had bellies with stars. / The Plain-Belly Sneetches / Had none upon thars." This collection of four of Dr. Seuss's most winning stories begins with that unforgettable tale of the unfortunate Sneetches, bamboozled by one Sylvester McMonkey McBean ("the Fix-it-up Chappie"), who teaches them that pointless prejudice can be costly. Following the Sneetches, a South-Going Zax and a North-Going Zax seem determined to butt heads on the prairie of Prax. Then there's the tongue-twisting story of Mrs. McCave--you know, the one who had 23 sons and named them all Dave. (She realizes that she'd be far less confused had she given them different names, like Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face or Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate.) A slightly spooky adventure involving a pair of haunted trousers--"What was I scared of?"--closes out the collection. Sneetches and Other Stories is Seuss at his best, with distinctively wacky illustrations and ingeniously weird prose. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

Includes four humorous verse fantasies: The Sneetches, The Zax, The Many Daves, and What was I Scared of?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible