Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (493)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (497)
Another one done. I know I’m late to the party but I am so happy I found Rainbow Rowell this year. I really enjoyed this book, Rowell writes such lovably imperfect characters. Eleanor’s family situation was heartbreaking and I wished I could rescue them. The characters and details were nerdy and awkward. The story was wonderfully told from alternating points of view. And like life, it wasn’t all wrapped neatly and solved to perfection at the end. 5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
This book made me feel emotions. The good kind, and the bad kind. I am simultaneously upset, and happy, and ohmygodilovethisbook.

The ending is what sold me. Those last few bits were an excellent close to this book.

A great read to begin 2019! ( )
  thathikermeg | Mar 16, 2019 |
“Eleanor & Park”, by Rainbow Rowell was the book I needed at the moment. This book was written, perhaps, with a teen audience in mind- but it is the teen that I was that this book was meant for. Once I was a bit of a snob who never read child or YA lit, but being a school librarian cured me of that flaw. Good writing is good writing. This book, set in the late 80s, tells the unglorified story of a first love. It’s messy, it’s self-conscious, it’s compulsive, too worried about what peers may think or see. It’s easy as an adult to be dismissive of a first live, of a teenaged love story. But it’s absolutely necessary to go through a first love to have another one. Some content a parents may wish to screen for younger readers. Really good stuff! ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
I loved this story! ( )
  hejmarguerite | Mar 12, 2019 |
Nice to have a romance told from a boy's perspective. Park is the guy in the hoodie at the back of the school bus who is "just" cool enough to sit there with the ultra cool kids. By flying under the radar, keeping his mouth shut and earbuds in, he manages to avoid any confrontations or entanglements that might effect his status.
Then along comes Eleanor with her weird clothes and red hair - the complete opposite and sits beside him. he says absolutely nothing to her the first few times and then passes her a mix tape of songs, but something horrible is happening in her life and only park can rescue her.
SPOILER ALERT: horrible graffiti on her workbooks - completely poverty stricken and abusive step father. ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 7, 2019 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,522,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible