Eleanor and Park

by Rainbow Rowell

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer (Headinherbooks_27)
    More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer (Headinherbooks_27)
    George (Scholastic Gold) by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (558)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (562)
Poor ending ( )
  ekayounita | Jun 20, 2021 |
What do I even say?
This ending was not okay. It was no where near okay. I'm seriously hoping the words were ily, but my brain is telling me what if it's some other three words.....and I'm just NOOOOOOOOO.........A fantastic read that almost moved me to tears. But I would have loved more. ( )
  trisha_tomy | Jun 1, 2021 |
I'll be quite honest — I didn't expect to like Eleanor and Park very much when I started it. I read it on the advice/orders of my girlfriend, and expected it to be a teen romance novel much in the same way I expected the Maze Runner trilogy to be a teenage dystopian novel — very much of its genre, tweaking only small details, with stories interchangeable to an almost shocking degree. But it surprised me. It didn't invert, contravene and confound the trappings of the teen novel the way some of my favorite genre books subvert theirs, but it really worked for me. I cared about the characters, and I cared about what happened to them.

Read the full review here. ( )
  kaitwallas | May 21, 2021 |
Lovely and touching book! Read it all in one day while on a road trip. I enjoyed to love story between the two. So much dedication...I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a light, funny romance read. ( )
  stickyfingers1 | May 20, 2021 |
July 6, 2020

Removing my 5 star review. After learning about the racism prevalent in this novel, I won't be recommending it and will remove the rating completely.

Gutted. Completely. I hate you Rainbow Rowell. I love you but I hate you. I want you to be my new BFF but I also never want to speak to you again. Please keep writing amazing books but bring me ice cream after I finish reading them okay?
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rowell, Rainbowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simó, VictoriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,087,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible