dismiss

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (2012)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (2)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Now this book is very interesting. While it is simple the reader will figure out that the narrator is unreliable. The little fish believes he will never be caught for pulling off the hat heist, but the illustrations say something different. Which is why this book can be complex for some readers. ( )
  blakeashley121 | Apr 16, 2020 |
This book is truly amazing. I loved reading it so much that I showed it to just about anyone who would listen. I read it to my fellow classmates, friends, sorority sisters, after-school kids, brother, mother, and anyone who would listen. This book reached all of them. It's absolutely hilarious. It tells the story of a small fish who steals a hat from a big fish. He goes through the story justifying his actions. This book brilliantly introduces its audience to illustrations that betray its story. I would highly recommend this book. My after-school kids loved it so much that I ended up buying a copy to keep around, and checking out the rest of the series from the library. ( )
  alexwaterbury | Apr 13, 2020 |
While "This Is Not My Hat" seems like a super simple picture book, about three pages into the book the reader will realize that the illustrations do not match the little fish's narration. This picture books plot is about a little fish's hat heist. He believes that no one will ever be able to catch him in the act, but the illustrations say other wise. ( )
  edt112 | Apr 13, 2020 |
I loved this book! This is not my hat is about a small fish who steals a hat and feels he will get away with it, little does he know the owner of the hat is on his trail and wants his hat back. I thought it was so awesome that the author's words did not match the illustrations and force the students to use their critical thinking skills and make predictions against what the author is saying. Will the thief get away with it? Or will he be caught? I guess you will have to read and find out! ( )
  rachk99 | Feb 25, 2020 |
I gave this book three stars because I thought it's cute, but I expected more to the story. This book could still be used with english language learning students by helping them with vocabulary and comprehension. It could also be used with students of varying cultural backgrounds. I like that the book is attempting to teach that stealing is not a good idea. I also like the simplicity of the book. It is not too much content for beginners. ( )
  sierragobs | Feb 24, 2020 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,256,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible