dismiss

Modernist Cuisine at Home (2012)

by Nathan Myhrvold, Maxime Bilet

"This book focuses on cooking equipment, techniques, and recipes"--P. xvii.

This appears to be the scaled down home version of Modernist Cuisine, a 2000 page exhaustively encyclopedic set of books exploring modernist cuisine in depth. Whether it was meant to be or not, I am unsure. I do know that it seems to be written with people of varying kitchen skill levels in mind. The everyday home cook could pick this book up and start cooking straight away, and those with more experience in the kitchen can find more challenging recipes and processes.

This would be the version that those who were not culinary students should buy and keep at home to reference. The photographs are very striking, the book is laid out very methodically, and boy, is there a lot of information packed in there!

Techniques, equipment, ingredients, and theory are all wrapped up in an effective and enduring way. Recipes are clear and precise. Very well done.

**eARC netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
This is a truly remarkable book. Check it out if you love food, or photography, or the science of how things work. Especially seek it out if you love all three of those. I will be sad to take this tome back to the library. Not sure I will own it anytime soon at over $100 - so luck y my library had a copy. It is truly a master work. BEAUTIFUL!! I have tried one or two of the ideas found on these pages and could certainly come back to this over and over for unique ideas and inspiration.

dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |

Nathan Myhrvoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bilet, Maximemain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,931,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible