Paris: A Love Story by Kati Marton

Paris: A Love Story

by Kati Marton

In this remarkably honest memoir, award-winning journalist and distinguished author Marton narrates an impassioned and romantic story of love, loss, and life after loss.

I wanted to like this book but I found I just didn't care. She had so much at her fingertips and I feel like she didn't appreciate it. I was so intrigued by the cover and the line: "...who has ever fallen in love in Paris, or with Paris." That gave me high hopes. This is not at all what the book is about. Its all about her relationships with snippets of Parisian life. I struggled to finish this one. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Dec 23, 2018 |
Not about the city. I suppose I should have taken a closer look at the summary inside the flap. After the recent events in France I thought this would be a good read and something a bit "lighter." Unfortunately the book is not about the city itself (although it does serve as a backdrop). It's about the author's love story with her two husbands: anchor Peter Jennings and former Ambassador Richard Holbrooke.

I didn't know anything about this woman before reading the book, but I couldn't help but feel an immediate dislike to her. She starts the book out with Holbrooke's death and discusses how her husband had corrected President Obama when he said he preferred Richard instead of being called Dick because she was in the audience. I couldn't help but feel that felt like an awfully petty anecdote and pretty irrelevant overall to the book. Within the next few pages she says Afghanistan's then-president, Hamid Karzai, showed "something akin to genuine emotion" when he called author Morton about Holbrooke's grave condition. The two men never got along (Holbrooke had a reputation for being a jerk) but I couldn't help but feel very turned off by the start of the book.

And while she's not a terrible writer, her story bored me overall. It's a book driven by her love life (her career is there but it seems she decided to dedicate herself to her family after marrying Jennings). She may have loved both men deeply and in her own way, but that wasn't exactly a page turner. Not being a journalist or in the media world made it difficult to relate to her struggles. It really seems like that if you work in that world you might feel for her but otherwise it wasn't exactly much info on the journalist or ambassador.

At times it also seemed like a bunch of name-dropping in both the political and media worlds. Maybe if you're in it you might get it but after the opening I was skeptical.

So long as you're reading it for her life with her two husbands (and not really her career, her family/how to raise a family while being married to a journalist, Paris or her husbands' lives/backgrounds), then you'll better understand what you'll get. As I wrote, the writing isn't bad and I did feel mostly engaged. It's just a pity she chose to focus her writing on other stuff.

Bought it as a bargain, would strongly recommend library instead. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I love to read memiors to learn about other people's lives. With a good memoir I can always become engaged with the author's thoughts or events that mark her life. Unfortunately, Marton's missed her target with this stoy. She should have concentrated her effort on her life with Holbrook and their lives together. Instead, the long beginning of her first marriage to Peter Jennings was as sad as her life with him.
  clprice | Dec 27, 2014 |
What do you get when you cross a tell-all celebrity memoir with two love stories -- one for the author's two famous husbands, the other for the most beautiful city in the world?

You get an uneven book that at times engrosses when it reveals little known or unknown details about Peter Jennings, the self-doubt crippled and emotionally abusive second husband of Kati Marton, actress, journalist, and writer, and her third husband, Richard Holbrooke, the great diplomat. At other, unrevealing, times, the book becomes a tourist guide to the "flanneurable" sections of Paris, shopping, and otherwise, celebrity and cafe name-dropping.

But it is, at its core, a book about grieving and the power of a city and its unremarkable remarkable people to heal the deepest wounds of one woman's soul. This reader was left grieving that it was not a more memorable memoir. ( )
  Limelite | Sep 29, 2014 |
In this no holds barred memoir, Marton chronicles her loves and losses in Paris, the city of her heart. Paris was where Kati found herself when facing loss, where she found love, and where she was happiest.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/paris-a-love-story-kati-marto... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
For Richard with love
Like a human snowplow, I surge against the flow of chanting, banner-waving students pouring into the boulevard St.-Germain.
Grief is not a linear process. It hits you with a force when you least expect it.
The past should not imprison you . . . .

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,764,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible