Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life…

Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story

by Arnold Schwarzenegger

Other authors: Peter Petre

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
The title of the book is really fitting. I assume that everybody knows something about Arnold Schwarzenegger, obviously known for his films. But I think that only some of you know that in his young age he was a very successful bodybuilder, he was Mr Olympia, Mr Universe or something like that several times. Eventually, he became a governor of California. The book also tells more about him as a real estate investor and the interesting fact is that first became a millionaire by all of his real estate endeavours.
The book gives a lot of insights into his life and it brought out why he was able to accomplish as much as he did. The book tells how a poor Austrian became an entrepreneur, a professional bodybuilder and eventually a film star and a politician.
For me, the most interesting part was about the Hollywood industry. How it worked at his peak and how he dealt with different stakeholders. By the way, now I get why Conan the Barbarian is the only chapter, from the whole franchise, worth to watch (my honest opinion). On the other hand, I found the second half of the book a bit less appealing. It tells more about Arnold’s life as an American politician and my reflection on that part is that, predominantly, he tries to justify his actions. There is nothing wrong with that, but, much more, I would enjoy some interesting deep dives into the American political industry.
One thing that was also interesting was the way he ends the book which was his ten rules to live. My favourite was “don't let pride get in the way”, “don't... (if you like to read my full review please visit my blog: https://leadersarereaders.blog/total-recall-my-unbelievably-true-life-story/) ( )
  LeadersAreReaders | Feb 19, 2019 |
Overall a good read and one that I think will encourage one to think hard about how much of oneself you invest in the things you care about. Arnold became successful because of hard work more than any other reason. You have to put in the repetitions and time to get where you want to be. ( )
  DannyKeep | Mar 26, 2017 |
The title is accurate. Schwarzenegger is well-known as a movie actor and former body builder, and later as Governor of California, but his life is incredibly rich, and I was amazed and impressed at how hard he worked to succeed at everything. He came to America at age 21 speaking almost no English. He absolutely dominated and radically changed the world of body building which had been extremely seedy, then with an accent so thick you could cut it, he announced he was going to be a movie star. People laughed openly and dismissed him as a joke, and yet even today he is force to be reckoned with in Hollywood, and although known for action pictures he has also had success with other genres including comedy (Twins is a classic). He is also a model, producer, director, activist, businessman, investor, writer, and philanthropist.
Whether you like him or his politics or not, his is a riveting story. ( )
  bjtimm | Nov 8, 2016 |
One of my favorite books. Arnold a very optimistic man with an unbelievable faith and will. My master. :) I really believe that everything what he says about the success is true. I really admire him as a hollywood actor, as a governor and as a fitness god. :) His book is absolute amusing. ( )
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
The first half of the book focuses on Arnold's growing up. Getting interested in weightlifting and the intensity with which he pursued being good at the sport. This intensity eventually brought him to America. Once here he branched out into a few others areas trying to make money to get by and trying to help grow the bodybuilding sport. This part of the book, about the first half was my favorite and I thought the most interesting.

He also talks about how he became interested in being in movies and how difficult it was to learn to act and wait for good parts. He discusses what it was like shooting different movies and getting into politics. He ends the book talking about his mistake with the housekeeper and how he hopes to make things better with his wife Maria (they are still not divorced last I checked).

Overall a good read and one that I think will encourage you to think hard about how much of yourself you invest in the things you care about. Arnold became successful because of hard work more than any other reason. You have to put in the repetitions and time to get where you want to be.
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |

Schwarzenegger, Arnoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Petre, Petersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my family
This Autobiography is not related neither to the 1990's film Total Recall by Paul Verhoeven or Sara Paretsky's similarly-named novel, Total Recall.
Please, don't combine them.

A memoir by the bodybuilder, actor, and former governor of California traces his journey to the United States and rise from Mr. Universe champion to millionaire businessman, and discusses his political achievements and the choices he regrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,659,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible