Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six…

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives

by Becky Aikman

Describes the author's experiences as a young widow and the pivotal relationships she forged with five other widows, recounting the stories of their losses and bravery as exchanged throughout a year of monthly Saturday night meetings.

The author was widowed young and found herself not fitting it with the traditional sort of widows group. She got tired of being handed information about the stages of grief and decided to branch out and form her own kind of support group. She wanted the focus of the group to be on living and trying new experiences. So she started asking around and meeting with potential members. That leads to the first meeting of the "Saturday Night Widows" - a meeting where she is fraught with anxiety about how the whole project is going to go. However after some initial awkwardness, the group begins to become just what she had believed it would be - a place for women to shed their "widow's weeds" and encourage one another as they face life solo. This book is a chronicle of their first year, and I felt truly privileged to hear the remarkable stories of these women and how they tackled overcoming the enormous losses in their lives. I felt like I learned a bit about life and grieving from their experiences, as I laughed, cried, and ruminated over what it means to take the best pieces of the past forward into the future. I highly recommend this book to anyone, and most especially those who have struggled with a great loss. ( )
  debs4jc | Jan 26, 2017 |
I had missed the word 'memoir' in the description, and so was totally taken aback & had to rethink about what I was getting into, after I read the first few pages and realized that it was non-fiction.

So, I appreciated, mostly, the science. I was actually surprised to learn that some people think the Kubler-Ross 5 stages had to do with grieving - I learned them as what they were meant to be refections of, the most likely stages that one who is dying tends to go through.

I hope to see another book on the theme - it's about time that some real science is done to help widows and widowers. Meanwhile, this felt pretty authentic to the experience many young widows must go through.

Of course, I can't identify with having money to go to the Galapagos and to Morocco in the same decade, or to fretting so much about what other people think, or even, now that I'm menopausal, to wanting so badly to go to bed with someone. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This may not seem like beach reading, but I am almost euphoric about finding this book -- I keep having little Eureka! moments, like "Yes! I felt exactly the same way!" and "Oh my gosh, me TOO!"

And now I look like a lobster from the back, because I was so busy reading that I forgot to turn over. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I liked the concept a lot, but I was very aware of how Sex and the City these women were. You can't help wondering how the project would have gone down among people who don't have summer homes and glamorous Manhattan brownstones and "Paris was one of our favorite places" lifestyles. The book feels very summarized, too, which kept me on the outside; while I loved the idea of these six women bonding and growing together, I didn't feel connected to them myself. I was a well-removed observer. I actually think film would have been a better medium for this story, and I'll be interested to see if they ever do make a movie out of it.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
At first I was a bit put off as it seemed as if the author was using this as a research project to write and sell a book. However, she herself is a widow and was struggling to come to terms with her new life situation. As a recent widow I heard my own voice in so many of the women in this book and it really helped me to not feel so alone. The author combines humor and an open honesty that is refreshing. In an early chapter knew I would like this book when one of the women said, “I don’t worry about things as much anymore, the worst has already happened to me,” or something similar. I remember saying a similar thing to my sister-in-law recently. I don’t think twice about getting on a plane (not that I ever really worried) or about losing my job or other catastrophes – what could be worse than losing my soulmate?
Worth the read. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Becky Aikman's book Saturday Night Widows was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,823,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible