Mystery of the Laughing Shadow by William…

Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (1969)

by William Arden

Other authors: Alfred Hitchcock

Three young detectives try to solve a mystery involving a gold Indian amulet and a laughing shadow that appears to them in the night.

It in no way detracts from my enjoyment of this juvenile mystery series, about three youthful investigators and their mysteries that I think must have inspired the plots and aspects of the "Scooby-Do" cartoons, that I generally forget the plots shortly after reading them. This is literary popcorn, but no matter; I've been known to enjoy a bag or two of popcorn. Evidently this one involves a laughing shadow. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 5, 2015 |
A great and easily read mystery to help try and figure out. ( )
  Marcel1972 | Apr 10, 2012 |
Bought 05 Jun 2009 - Corner Bookshop, Hay-on-Wye

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators # 12

A great read for a cold night, huddled in bed with the electric blanket - a mystery to solve involving not one but two Native American tribes, an academic, Hitchcock himself and the usual mild peril and resourceful boys. There's even a dodgy vegetarian in this one! Great stuff and as usual the spooky-seeming phenomenon has a rational explanation and some people are not what they seem.

Good stuff! ( )
  LyzzyBee | Nov 8, 2009 |
Highly recommended for young readers. I started reading these books in fourth grade, and the copy I own is the very one I read way back then: it is from the school library, a purchased DISCARD.

One of the odd things about the book, and what struck me as rather strange even when I first read them, was the way the author was designated. On the title page it is listed as "ALFRED HITCHCOCK and The Three Investigators in The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow." Hitchcock was making money, here, and this was a franchise operation. Below the title, in smaller type, was printed "Text by William Arden," etc.

Robert Arthur, a writer known for his ghost stories, started out the series. William Arden (and others, perhaps) took over. This book is as good as those early entries. There was no obvious decrease in quality as the series transitioned its authors.

The youth market series fiction industry was certainly an odd one. ( )
  wirkman | Feb 27, 2007 |
I loved this series when I was a child, and am looking forward to reading them sometime soon with my son ( )
  herebedragons | Jan 22, 2007 |

Arden, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitchcock, Alfredsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Appelqvist, KatiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A few words from Alfred Hitchcock

Greetings! I am delighted to have you join me for another adventure with those three amazing lads who are known as The Three Investigators.
1 A Laugh in the Night

Bob Andrews and Pete Crenshaw were still two miles from their home in Rocky Beach when they had to turn on their bicycle lights.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,683,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible