The Bible For Dummies (9780764552960) is now being published as The Bible For Dummies (9781119293507). While this version features an older Dummies cover and design, the content is the same as the new release and should not be considered a different product. Ninety percent of Americans own a copy of the Bible, and while it's the most widely read book, it's also the least understood. Regardless of your religion, understanding the Bible brings much of Western art, literature, and public discourse into greater focus--from Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" painting to the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix movies. People have historically turned to religion to deal with tragedy and change, and with the right insight, the Bible can be an accessible, helpful guide to life's big questions. The Bible For Dummies appeals to people of all faiths, as well as those who don't practice any particular religion, by providing interfaith coverage of the entire Bible and the often fascinating background information that makes the Bible come alive. You'll find answers to such questions as: Where did the Bible come from? Who wrote the Bible? How is the Bible put together? Follow the history of the Bible from its beginning thousands of years ago as tattered scrolls to its status as the bestseller of all time. The Bible For Dummies covers these topics and more: Ten people in the Bible you should know The Hebrew Bible The Apocrypha's hidden treasures What's new about the New Testament Israel's wisdom, literature, and love poetry The Bible's enduring influence The prophets: more than fortunetellers Discover the world's all-time bestseller in an entirely new light. Whether you're interested in broadening your spiritual horizons, uncovering the symbolism of Western culture, or gaining a deeper understanding of the book you grew up reading, The Bible For Dummies has all the information you need to navigate this ancient and fascinating book.… (more)

An interesting and fun read. It shows that even if you're not religious at all, the bible is good literature. And if you're religous, the additional information gives a lot to tell off irritating "I-don't-believe-in-anything-and-you-should-do-that-too"-people. ( )
  Geektesse | Dec 10, 2017 |
Very helpful. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is a terrific basic resource for any First Day School.
  NEYM_RE_Library | Dec 3, 2013 |
I’m reading another book now that highlights the sad state of America’s Bible illiteracy. Even as we continue to sell more Bibles and religious titles every year, the Bible is actually being read less and less. I doubt if anyone who regularly reads my blog falls into this category, but a number of my friends do, and I’d like to find an easy introduction to the stories in the Bible. What better choice than a Dummies book, right?

I’m a huge fan of the Dummies series! Since they introduced their trademark fun and attractive layouts for computer-related topics years ago, I’ve accumulated quite a collection. I even included a Dummies book in the “suggested reading” appendix of my book about Revelation! Scholarly suicide, you think? Fact is, I find most of them well-researched and generally unbiased.

Turns out this one was a bit of a disappointment. The reading is a bit dry, there’s too much discussion of general topics rather than Bible stories, too much emphasis on introducing every book in the Bible instead of just the basics, and too much of a religious bent. The authors feel obligated to explain the stories, adding meaning, which is not only unnecessary but I often found myself disagreeing with their interpretations. So this one didn’t do it for me, and I’m still looking.

Anybody have any suggestions? ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Nov 23, 2011 |
a very good basic introduction for both reading and reference ( )
  rampaginglibrarian | Sep 20, 2009 |

Jeffrey C. Geogheganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Homan, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible