And the Mountains Echoed

by Khaled Hosseini

Presents a story inspired by human love, how people take care of one another, and how choices resonate through subsequent generations. Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and step-mother in the small village of Shadbagh. Their father, Saboor, is constantly in search of work and they struggle together through poverty and brutal winters. To Adbullah, Pari, as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named, is everything.… (more)
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Moonlit Cage by Linda Holeman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sold by their impoverished families, the young Afghan girls at the center of these sweeping novels undergo long, arduous journeys, geographically and emotionally, before coming to terms with their experiences. Though centuries separate the narratives, both offer richly detailed settings.… (more)

English (276)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (301)
4.5 stars. Another excellent novel by Khaled Hosseini, and less violent than his two previous novels. Rather than a linear narrative, this ambitious effort structures the tale through various point of views, each chapter serving as a short story for a character whose life intersects at varying degrees along the continuum to weave together 60 years after which the original story finally comes full circle. The original story is foreshadowed by a father in a nighttime story for his two children about how a man has to sacrifice on of his five children so that the rest may survive (cutting off a finger so the hand can survive.) ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Good tapestry of characters and the ripple effect of choices people make. ( )
  LuckyWitter | Apr 22, 2021 |
I've found a new favorite author! Now I want to read his earlier books. ( )
  ChetBowers | Mar 10, 2021 |
I found a sad little fairy
Beneath the shade of a paper tree.

I know a sad little fairy
Who was blown away by the wind one night.

Once again, Khaled Hosseini has written a very powerful, emotionally impactful novel, this one tracing the paths of two siblings who were separated one day in 1952 and the many, many different people who connected them, entire families part of the story of Pari and Abdullah. The kind of novel that had me staying up late on several nights, wanting to read more. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
The novel was very moving, emotional, and touching. To me it was about human relationships and families and how the choices made effect others. There were a lot of story lines that could be argued to detract from the main theme, especially the whole part based in Greece.
  PamS76 | Feb 17, 2021 |

there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Jelaluddin Rumi, 13th century
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah,
both the noor of my eyes, and to my father,
who would have been proud
For Elaine
So, then.  You want a story and I will tell you one.  But just the one.
I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.
J'aurais du etre plus gentille--I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret.
Beauty is an enormous, unmerited gift given randomly, stupidly.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,239,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible