The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by…

The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story (2013)

by Lily Koppel

It was intriguing to see the women behind the famous men, but none of the wives were very distinct to me. ( )
  Bodagirl | Feb 10, 2019 |
Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story by Lily Koppel is a woman's take on the women involved in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space programs. Unfortunately, the only women involved in these ventures into space were the wives of the astronauts. In all, I found that the book was rather light weight. There had to be much going on in all these women's lives, and the book didn't go into any of these multifaceted personalities and their relationships with husbands, children, communities, the government, or NASA. All or any of these would have made a great book. Because the lives of the astronauts were so closely controlled by NASA the lives of their families and their wives was as well. It was apparent that the contracts with NASA allowing the press unlimited access to these families was a grave interruption and imposition into the lives of these women. How they coped with it was the main focus of the book, but I thought the author let the government and NASA off lightly. There was no bad word in the book about the way NASA treated these women or about the outlandish requirements that they made of them. I would call this a good basic women's history of this part of the space program, but if you want to know what really went on this might not be the book for you. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jan 31, 2019 |
From the inception of the Space Age to its end, The book follows the women behind the famous men. Excellent reading. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Dec 28, 2018 |
As a portrait of the women behind the men in America's space program, this book provides some insight into lives at once lived under the microscope of publicity yet at the same time largely ignored. As the flip side of "The Right Stuff", it's pretty thin broth. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
The wives of the astronauts were under as much or more pressure than their astronaut husbands. Granted it was a different kind of pressure but all the same it made for a difficult life for those wives. The women had to be without their spouses for long periods of time during training and launches. And they had to wonder if their husbands were faithful to them during that time apart. They also had to deal with the press who constantly wanted to know about their husbands and their lives. And they had to live through the launches and hope that their astronaut husbands would return safely to them following the space missions. As a result, the wives banded together to offer each other assistance and friendship in the form of the Astronaut Wives Club.

I was really looking forward to reading the book and I am glad that I did because I learned much about the family life of the astronauts. However, I had difficulty with the writing style. I felt as if the author moved too quickly from one incident to another, and so, there were many times I wasn’t sure whose story I was hearing. Keeping track of everything became a chore and made reading the book more cumbersome than enjoyable.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Lily Koppel's history tells the story of the women behind the astronauts, from Project Mercury--which launched the first American into space in 1961--to the Apollo program, which landed a man on the Moon eight years later. Focusing on this tight-knit sisterhood offers a new window into America's ambitious age of exploration. It's a fairly comprehensive overview--to both its credit and detriment. While Koppel's thoroughness is impressive, the book often barely skims the surface of these women's lives, and there are so many characters that it's hard to keep them straight. . . . Occasionally a sense of the women's steely strength cuts through, but there's an awful lot of fluff in the way.
added by sgump | editSmithsonian, Chloë Schama (Jun 1, 2013)

For the wives, who have the "right stuff"
To be an astronaut wife meant tea with Jackie Kennedy, high-society galas, and instant celebrity.

"Bestselling author Lily Koppel reveals for the first time the stories and secrets of America's unsung heroes-the wives of our original astronauts"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,323,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible