dismiss

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

The Rithmatist

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Rithmatist (1)

As Wild Chalklings threaten the American Isles and Rithmatists are humanity's only defense, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students learn the magical art that he would do anything to practice.

English (89)  Italian (1)  All languages (90)
I recommend Sanderson to the nth degree. N being whatever you like, because he friggin rocks. This novel rocks and I'm now convinced the man can't write a bad book. I read it through audio, but it didn't matter. The diagrams that were so essential to the action were still very clear and fascinating. Again, his magic systems soar. It was a near perfect win. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I've thought a lot about this book and how I feel about it. It is a really solid book, but parts felt odd. I'm still not entirely sure I understand some of the chalklings or purpose of the drawings, but perhaps that'll come out in later books. If you can get past trying to understand every bit and piece of this first novel, it's quite a read. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Before I read this book, I thought - chalk magic, that's weird. Wasn't really interested. But I'm so glad I read it. Loved it. The concepts were cool. The plot, ending, and vibe of the book were great. The biggest problem is that the series probably won't get finished for 10 years! ( )
  aarondesk | May 2, 2020 |
Joel is smart, Melody is undaunted, and they manage to have a pretty interesting adventure without leaving Armedius academy more than twice. As characteristic of Sanderson, the magic and method of Rithmatics is so clearly explained, it feels like a science.

Good fun, good read, ending begs for more without driving the reader crazy. ( )
  Pascale1812 | Apr 16, 2020 |
By this point Sanderson should just go ahead and offer a subscription model for his stuff.

I loved the book and would love to read more in this universe. It takes you into an alternate Earth from the 18-19th century with a few magical events that diverge it from reality. As is accustomery for Brandon's fantasy novels it very carefully constructs a magic system that is rule based and airtight, leaving just enough information out in order to keep you intrigued. The plot is straightforward but entangled enough into the fabric of the bigger society in a way for it to matter more than just for the individual protagonists.

It's obvious some elements are borrowed from Rowling, but they work great so I don't see that as a problem at all. The ending is among the best I've read in a fantasy book this year. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Joel Sanderson, whose enthusiasm never stops
Lilly's lamp blew out as she bolted down the hallway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible