The Rithmatist

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: The Rithmatist (1)

1,7391017,347 (4.18)2 / 64
As Wild Chalklings threaten the American Isles and Rithmatists are humanity's only defense, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students learn the magical art that he would do anything to practice.

English (100)  Italian (1)  All languages (101)
Very much a young adult book, but still a lot of fun. This one reminded me of a cross between Elantris and Steelheart in a Harry Potter setting. The magic mechanic for this one focuses around a world where "Rithmatists" (think wizards) fight the worlds battles against a vague evil. Rithmatists fight by drawing figures in chalk that are effectively wards against evil, or offensive. The somewhat short story was entertaining all the way through, with great characters, a good magic system and just overall fun. Not the amazing, tell everyone you know fun, but an entertaining story. I'll surely read the next one in the series when it comes out. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Sanderson is one of the only authors who surprises me through consistency. Every time I pick up one of his books I'm prepared for disappointment and he delivers a creative actiony little romp instead. As this is YA I kept expecting a hard turn towards clich��, and never found it. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
I almost wish that Sanderson would write something terrible. Because so far I love every one of his books and it's getting... strange. Anyway, this book is perfect. Although meant for a younger audience and not that complex as his other works, Rithmatist brings everything that Sanderson does so wonderfully. The characters are unique and easy to connect to, the plot is original, the "magic" system is new and detailed and I just loved the alternative version of our world (especially things like "traditional European food" – Italian stir-fry spaghetti). With a great twist at the end, there is an opening for a sequel, which in this case I quite appreciate. I want to criticize something, just so this feels more unbias, but I struggle to find something. Even a girl obsessed with unicorns, constantly yelling that "The Unicorn Is A Very Noble And Majestic Animal" to everybody seems in place here, not annoying as one would expect. ( )
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
This is a pretty typical younger mystery complete with the main character blaming an adult with out any evidence. I hate that. It doesn't matter how it turns out. This was handled alright. I want to read the rest of the series now. ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | Feb 18, 2021 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McSweeney, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current discussions

Found: Mystery, fictional warfare (recent) in Name that Book

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,055,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible