The Green Pearl by Jack Vance

The Green Pearl (1985)

by Jack Vance

Series: Lyonesse (2)

English (9)  French (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (13)
Ook dit boek had een leuk verhaal, maar ook hier van komt pas een volgende keer een echt review. Hoop ik. ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |
Energetic and onrushing second volume in Vance's brilliant fantasy trilogy. less set-up this time, more incident and plot and occasional detours and wanderings as King Aillas consolidates his hold over South Ulfland and King Casmir plots and schemes against him and the Ska gather at his borders and magicians conspire to create mischief. It's cracking stuff full of weird characters and battles and chases and captures and escapes all written in a grand ironic style. ( )
  Nigel_Quinlan | Oct 21, 2015 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Green Pearl is another engrossing adventure in Jack Vance's whimsical world. This installment of Lyonesse mainly follows Aillas, now King of Troicinet, as he seeks revenge on the Ska, tests his infatuation with Tatzel, deals with a couple of traitors, and tries to thwart the ambitions of King Casmir of Lyonesse who, unbeknownst to Casmir, is Aillas's son's grandfather. We also spend quite a bit of time with Shimrod, Glyneth, Melancthe, and some new and excellent characters such as the duplicitous innkeeper Dildahl, the dogged but distractible Visbhume, and The Notable and Singular Zuck (Dealer in Objects Unique Under the Firmament).

There are two main reasons that I love Lyonesse. First, I admire Vance's florid imagination. His world and its creatures are unique and, while not as bizarre as Lewis Carroll's, there's plenty of weirdness. Second, I love Jack Vance's odd but irresistible style. There's no message, no lesson, no pretensions — it's just pure fast-paced entertainment. But best of all, Vance's deliberately peculiar and droll prose makes me laugh:

A crippled ex-soldier named Manting for ten years had served the county as executioner. He did his work efficiently and expunged Long Liam's life definitely enough, but in a style quite devoid of that extra element of surprise and poignancy, which distinguished the notable executioner from his staid colleague. ... [then Manting comes into possession of the Green Pearl which Long Liam had carried:] ... Thereafter, all who watched Manting declared that they had never seen the executioner's work done with more grace and attention to detail, so at times Manting and the condemned man seemed participants in a tragic drama which set every heart to throbbing; and at last, when the latch had been sprung, or the blow struck, or the torch tossed into the faggots, there was seldom a dry eye among the spectators.

And the dialog is truly humorous — so many authors try, but Vance gets it right. Just two short examples:

• The barber said politely: "Sire, I suggest that you hold your feet motionless while I am cutting your toenails."
• When the beautiful but empty-headed Melancthe tries to seduce Shimrod, he says: "My character is intensely strong, and my will is like iron; still, I see no reason to demonstrate their strength needlessly."

Again I shake my head in bewilderment that this charming trilogy can not be acquired by the usual book-obtaining methods. What a shame!
Read my other Jack Vance reviews. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this again. This is mostly about the consolidation of power by the prince and a sorcerer's power surrounding a special green pearl. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book, but I thought it was not as good as the first. In many ways it seemed stuck in time, as the characters and plot did not advance much. The setting and characters are still good, but in many places I really wished for something of significance to happen. In an unhappy coincidence, I wrote this review on the very day of Vance's passing. RIP Jack Vance. ( )
  Karlstar | May 30, 2013 |

Jack Vanceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SanjulianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Houten, MickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pour David Alexander Tim Underwood et Chuck Miller Kirby, Kay et Ralph John II et Norma
Peu après la mort d'Hippolito dont il était l'élève, Visbhume sollicita un poste similaire d'apprenti auprès du sorcier Tamurello mais essuya un refus.

Il régnait alors, sur les terres des Isles Anciennes, chaos et infortune. Aillas de Troicinet, désormais roi de l'Ulfland du Sud, devait guerroyer contre les Skas, qui jadis l'avaient réduit en esclavage, et contre l'ambition de son puissant et malfaisant voisin, le roi Casmir. Ce dernier rêvait toujours d'étendre son empire au-delà de Lyonesse. Mais, selon une ancienne prophétie, seul le fils de Suldrun parviendrait à unifier l'ensemble des Isles Anciennes ; Suldrun qui, avant de disparaître, n'avait enfanté qu'une fille... Cependant, le monde de la magie menaçait de peser sur l'issue des conflits : la malice de la sorcière Desmëi s'était concentrée sous la forme d'une perle verte, semant luxure, envie et mort ; et l'infâme Visbhume, à la solde de Casmir, avait ouvert une brèche à travers les mondes et le temps pour piéger Aillas et ses compagnons...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible