Path of Needles by Alison Littlewood

Path of Needles

by Alison Littlewood

I won this book from Goodreads and Hachette Publishing. This was my first time reading a Littlewood book. I actually enjoyed the fairy tale theme. I thought it was a nice mix of mystery and fantasy. I am defintely going to read her first book A Cold Season and I look forward to checking out what else she writes next. I think as she evolves as an author and polishes her stories a little more she'll be a really good author! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
PATH OF NEEDLES was an exciting and engaging mystery. Told from two viewpoints - young police officer Cate Corbin and college lecturer Alice Hyland - gives us two unique views of the events of this story. Cate is eager to make her mark as a police officer. She is dedicated and practical. Alice Hyland is an expert on fairy tales and lives a life that seems open to the possibilities of magic.

There lives intersect when Cate is one of the first on the scene of the murder of a young woman. Cate immediately notices things that remind her of Snow White and decides to find an expert on fairy tales to consult. Alice lives near the scene of the crime and is the logical choice. The two women hit it off. When a second victim is found and the fairy tale is Little Red Riding Hood, Alice's insights are helpful. Cate's superior officer Heath is suspicious that they are too helpful and that Alice herself might be involved. When a third victim is found mimicking still another fairy tale, things heat up. Cate is torn between her liking for Alice and her superior's suspicions.

I liked the way the author contrasted the characters of Cate and Alice. I liked the potentially magical aspects of the story in the recurring appearances of the blue bird. The author also managed to keep me in the dark about the identity of the murder until very late in the story. I had decided that another character was the criminal.

Mystery fans, fairy tale fans, and fans of police procedurals will all find something to enjoy in the well-written mystery. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 8, 2014 |

Some fairy tales are born of dreams...and some are born of nightmares. A murderer is on the loose, but the gruesome way in which the bodies are being posed has the police at a loss. Until, on a hunch, Alice Hyland, an expert in fairy tales is called in. And it is Alice who finds the connection between the body of Chrissie Farrell and an obscure Italian version of Snow White. Then, when a second body is found, Alice is dragged further into the investigation - until she herself becomes a suspect. Now Alice must fight, not just to prove her innocence, but to protect herself: because it's looking like she might well be next.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,357,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible